Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Wendling Leaves LLVM Release Manager Role

Phoronix: Apple Might Be Divesting Its Stake In LLVM

Some weeks ago on Twitter a follower had mentioned a rumor that Apple was forcing its compiler developers to focus less on general LLVM work and to basically spend their time on Apple's new Swift project. While there's been a general slowdown of direct Apple contributions to LLVM, there's the latest sign today they might be divesting their interest somewhat in direct management of this open-source compiler infrastructure...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Some weeks ago on Twitter a follower had mentioned a rumor that Apple was forcing its compiler developers to focus less on general LLVM work and to basically spend their time on Apple's new Swift project.
    Forcing? An employer can reassign employees. Apple currently has a new LLVM front-end (Swift) and that needs to be brought in shape, especially for Apple's upcoming OSX release. Once that work is ?done?, those devs will surely be working on back-end stuff again as Apple has no interest in letting their compiler's performance suffer as Microsoft is improving theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      Forcing? An employer can reassign employees. Apple currently has a new LLVM front-end (Swift) and that needs to be brought in shape, especially for Apple's upcoming OSX release. Once that work is ?done?, those devs will surely be working on back-end stuff again as Apple has no interest in letting their compiler's performance suffer as Microsoft is improving theirs.
      From the Twitter report I received, it was basically quit working on LLVM or resign. (Those are welcome to search the @MichaelLarabel twitter history of tweets towards me, not sure if there's an easy way...)
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        From the Twitter report I received, it was basically quit working on LLVM or resign. (Those are welcome to search the @MichaelLarabel twitter history of tweets towards me, not sure if there's an easy way...)
        And this means what? At pretty much every company in existence, the policy is "do the work assigned to you, or leave". Are you claiming they've been forbidden to work on LLVM outside work hours too?

Comment

What a crock of crap. Apple is proposing a unified LLVM Shared library structure to free up WebKit, iOS, OS X and anyone else wanting to use this to stop having such a huge infrastructure of static/shared libs within LLVM.

They are working hard on Swift to make it a proposed language for Clang you dullard.

If I were still at Apple I'd be begging Craig to and Tim to let me be the Engineering voice piece to squash such stupid rumors.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            From the Twitter report I received, it was basically quit working on LLVM or resign.
            So like any other company where you either do what your boss tells you to and if you don't want to, you can look for another job.

You are self-employed and don't know that but normal people can't just decide on their own what they do at work. Bartenders can't just all of a sudden express themselves through knitting at work and still expect to be paid by the bar's owner?

If you want to have a sensationalist story as clickbait, fine. I don't blame you for that. You have to make a living as well. But if you honestly think that this story is a big deal, you really need to get in touch with reality!

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
              And this means what? At pretty much every company in existence, the policy is "do the work assigned to you, or leave". Are you claiming they've been forbidden to work on LLVM outside work hours too?
              It was interesting how it was worded, but erred on the side of caution as I didn't hear anything about this info at the time, but now seeing the LLVM release manager step aside, may have been right.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I really don't understand the hard-on for Apple that so many in the general Linux world have. Some even here on the forums, too.

When they were nothing more than a bothersome flea I could understand the sympathy. But once they got big britches they proved themselves to be more "evil" than even Google and MS, and certainly no more "open" than Google, who we criticize here routinely.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  I really don't understand the hard-on for Apple that so many in the general Linux world have. Some even here on the forums, too.

When they were nothing more than a bothersome flea I could understand the sympathy. But once they got big britches they proved themselves to be more "evil" than even Google and MS, and certainly no more "open" than Google, who we criticize here routinely.
                  No offense, but with your title of "Official X.org Fanboy" on this forum, this sounds a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. By that I mean the concept of fanboy in general, not trying to claim that X.org is "evil".

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
                    ... not trying to claim that X.org is "evil".
                    But it is evil, don't be ashamed to say that, it's 30 years old evil stinky crap.

Comment

Working...
                    X