Open-Source .NET Fans Push Its New Foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jokeyrhyme View Post
    At least the DotNetFoundation forums are running Discourse. Crufty old PHP-based forums with 90's UX (like this one) give me hives.
    Ah yes, because PHP-based forums are inherently "crufty" and "old", and always have a 90's UX. Unlike RoR-based forums which are so much better. Totally.
    /s

If I were to write a new forum in PHP (targeting PHP 5.5+) and only support IE10+ (like Discourse) I could easily make it modern looking, fast, and lightweight. As for this forum in particular, vBulletin is notorious for looking like crap, not to mention it's giant security flaws. Unless Micheal has fixed those issues himself, I wouldn't be surprised if all of our passwords have been stolen at least once.

Comment

As long as it's not a open standard alike c++ I simply won't use it. I use c# with Unity, but if they would support c++ I would switch immediately.

Comment

.NET to opensource is like guns to peace.

.NET is so freaking open and cross platform they even do not have cross-platform set of widgets unlike say Qt or WxWidgets. Needless to say it makes .NET programs non-portable and locked to particular system. Which is silly. And since M$$uxx backs foundation I doubt it can improve. M$ isn't interested in ability of other OSes to replace windows so its easy to expect they will sabotage such efforts.

So those who are up for cross-platform programs should better forget about .NET. It only "open" on the paper. And Miguel is an EPIC FAIL guy, who screwed his own Gnome and then cowardly escaped to Mac OS. Not sure if one can fail project management harder.

Comment

Originally posted by jokeyrhyme View Post
          At least the DotNetFoundation forums are running Discourse. Crufty old PHP-based forums with 90's UX (like this one) give me hives.
          Somehow it happened (almost) all good web things are written using PHP. And .NET proven to be completely maimed when it comes to web. There're virtually no good projects related to web. And opensource ones? Not demanding me to buy expensive winblows server? It would be easier to find penguin in the middle of hot desert.

.NET in web is like a three-legged dog. Takes an awful time to develop even most crappy web app. End of story.
          Last edited by System25; 15 October 2014, 03:37 AM.

Comment

It's a trap, obviously. And not the good kind of trap either.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
              As long as it's not a open standard alike c++ I simply won't use it. I use c# with Unity, but if they would support c++ I would switch immediately.
              lolwut?

C# has been an open standard since the beginning through ECMA, and both Anders and Miguel are on the ECMA committee standardizing C# 5, further Roslyn was released under the Apache License, and is under active open development right now, and Microsoft gave all of their unit tests to Xamarin. Sure some parts of the .NET framework are still closed source but the Microsoft implementations of WinForms, WPF, and WinRT are non-portable (Win32/DirectX dependencies) anyway...

Comment

I'll take D over C# any day. Compiled programs are nice. And while I don't see anything wrong with using programs developed for Mono, the problem is they never are. People develop on Windows and use WinForms, which then makes it almost unusable on Linux...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  while I don't see anything wrong with using programs developed for Mono, the problem is they never are. People develop on Windows and use WinForms, which then makes it almost unusable on Linux...
                  It may sound silly but a large part of reason for that is: It's a Microsoft Technology, as a result there is a lot of pressure by the FOSS community to "Go fuck off back to Windows" and that "It's a Patent Trojan RUN!!!!!!11111" regardless of the facts of the situation. As a result developers using .NET do "fuck off back to Windows" because they feel ostracized and unwelcome, and developers coming from Windows side are naturally going to develop using Windows APIs.

If the FOSS community was more welcoming then we'd probably see a lot more Mono + GTK# applications like Banshee in the wild.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    I'll take D over C# any day. Compiled programs are nice. And while I don't see anything wrong with using programs developed for Mono, the problem is they never are. People develop on Windows and use WinForms, which then makes it almost unusable on Linux...
                    I think you mean compiled to native code, since C# is compiled as well. But what determines niceness and how are they nicer?

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                      They support Javascript. Go nuts.

Comment

Working...
                      X