Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released For Linux

Phoronix: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released For Linux

Two weeks after Borderlands 2 came to Linux, today marks the official debut of Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and it's just not coming out for Windows but Linux too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, this is the test really isn't it? AAA, day and date with the Windows version, how will Linux fare?

It's the first AAA game released on Linux that I haven't purchased months or years before for ?3.24 in a Steam sale.

Unfortunately, I won't be getting it because:

- I'm running radeon drivers (getting about 40fps on Borderlands 2)
    - I've tried Borderlands a couple of times now and it really hasn't hooked me in
    - I've got literally hundreds of unplayed games in my 'to play' pile
    - It takes a fairly special game for me to buy full price at launch

But good luck to them, this is very much welcomed progression in Linux gaming.

Comment

Does anyone know if the original Borderlands uses the same engine as Borderlands 2 and the Pre-sequel? I'm hoping if it is it'll be ported too

EDIT According to Wikipedia they all use the Unreal 3 engine
      Last edited by FireBurn; 14 October 2014, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        The system requirements are exactly the same as Borderlands 2, so it should get roughly comparable FPS.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          EDIT According to Wikipedia they all use the Unreal 3 engine
          No, they all use Unreal Engine 3, get your terminology right

Comment

Well, this is the test really isn't it? AAA, day and date with the Windows version, how will Linux fare?

It's the first AAA game released on Linux that I haven't purchased months or years before for ?3.24 in a Steam sale.

Unfortunately, I won't be getting it because:

- I've tried Borderlands a couple of times now and it really hasn't hooked me in
            - I've got literally hundreds of unplayed games in my 'to play' pile
            - It takes a fairly special game for me to buy full price at launch

But good luck to them, this is very much welcomed progression in Linux gaming.
            sadly, anyone wanting for linux gaming to take off faster can't look at it that way... yet

it is the same as every console at launch. first adopters simply have to buy games like this in order to show that market is present. and the AAA games adoption is even more so important. good sales spawn new games and new games spawn new players. it would be a real setback if AAA game says linux flopped on expectations market wise, while AAA game saying it sold well enough is also good shove in the right direction of other games coming

Comment

If anyone with the game can see from the console if it supports any timedemo arguments, that would be great.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I was really looking forward to this game.
                Until seeing Borderlands 2 on my AMD.
                Manually enabling dynamic lights in the config it finally looked like on Nvidia Linux or AMD Windows, but performance was around 1/4 of the Windows performance.
                Waiting until this mess is fixed now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  The system requirements are exactly the same as Borderlands 2, so it should get roughly comparable FPS.
                  I'm also getting lots of stutter, it isn't exactly silky smooth.

Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed, but I'm not so diehard Linux that I'll forego a reasonable gaming experience just to game on Linux. Given the choice between a mediocre experience on Linux and a good experience on Windows I'll choose Windows. I'll only pick Linux when there's little to no performance impact from the Windows version.

Comment

I'm also getting lots of stutter, it isn't exactly silky smooth.

Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed, but I'm not so diehard Linux that I'll forego a reasonable gaming experience just to game on Linux. Given the choice between a mediocre experience on Linux and a good experience on Windows I'll choose Windows. I'll only pick Linux when there's little to no performance impact from the Windows version.
                    For these situations, there is always the CORRECT and last resort decision/option:
                    Buy it using the STEAM LINUX client...and then use Window$ to play it

At least this way it will count as a LINUX SALE

Comment

Working...
                    X