Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    For these situations, there is always the CORRECT and last resort decision/option:
    Buy it using the STEAM LINUX client...and then use Window$ to play it

At least this way it will count as a LINUX SALE
    It might switch over to a Windows sale if not played on Linux after buying.
    Source

Comment

They don't expect to sell that much right away anyways. Is similar to GTA5 for consoles will launch before the holidays.

So they release now, because Big Steam sales are in the horizon and people getting their holiday bonuses is where all the action will be.

Anyway , must support Aspyr so they keep on porting games, so when you buy it, install and play on linux first so they get credit. And if you have some issues report them in their steam forum or site.

And speaking about GTA5 for PC launching after consoles on early 2015, will they be doing multi-OS steamplay again (now that windows live is dead) and maybe support Valve's SteamOS ?!
      Last edited by madjr; 14 October 2014, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
        And speaking about GTA5 for PC launching after consoles on early 2015, will they be doing multi-OS steamplay again (now that windows live is dead) and maybe support Valve's SteamOS ?!
        Keep dreaming.

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
          Keep dreaming.
          Well everyone told us to "keep dreaming" about linux gaming just a few years ago

Today we even got same day AAA.

If GTA5 decides to do steamplay again, where they supported mac, then there's a chance.

Also the launch is planned after the consoles and holiday season so they're not that time constrained.

But depends how porting friendly this game/engine is and if Valve & CO decide to "influence" them (and other 3rd parties) a lil bit more on supporting their steammachines which also aim for 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
            sadly, anyone wanting for linux gaming to take off faster can't look at it that way... yet
            You need to look at this way: NO game ever is worth 50?. Regardless of platform. Publishers have been ripping off people for far too long.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              You need to look at this way: NO game ever is worth 50?. Regardless of platform. Publishers have been ripping off people for far too long.
              hmm this was kinda explained here:

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                I'm also getting lots of stutter, it isn't exactly silky smooth.

Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed, but I'm not so diehard Linux that I'll forego a reasonable gaming experience just to game on Linux. Given the choice between a mediocre experience on Linux and a good experience on Windows I'll choose Windows. I'll only pick Linux when there's little to no performance impact from the Windows version.
                Why not just run Catalyst then or get a supported video card (nvidia)?

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                  sadly, anyone wanting for linux gaming to take off faster can't look at it that way... yet

it is the same as every console at launch. first adopters simply have to buy games like this in order to show that market is present. and the AAA games adoption is even more so important. good sales spawn new games and new games spawn new players. it would be a real setback if AAA game says linux flopped on expectations market wise, while AAA game saying it sold well enough is also good shove in the right direction of other games coming
                  It's true, but sadly most of them expect too much.
                  If they expect to interest me and great number of others (or so I believe), they will have to start selling beyond Steam. Seeing a title as Steam-only puts me away immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                    Well, this is the test really isn't it? AAA, day and date with the Windows version, how will Linux fare?

It's the first AAA game released on Linux that I haven't purchased months or years before for ?3.24 in a Steam sale.

Unfortunately, I won't be getting it because:

- I'm running radeon drivers (getting about 40fps on Borderlands 2)
                    - I've tried Borderlands a couple of times now and it really hasn't hooked me in
                    - I've got literally hundreds of unplayed games in my 'to play' pile
                    - It takes a fairly special game for me to buy full price at launch

But good luck to them, this is very much welcomed progression in Linux gaming.
                    Borderlands 2 to me is a huge upgrade over Borderlands 1. I've played Borderlands 1 and thought it was a terrible game. It still is BTW. The main attraction was the loot system, which is about as fun as getting lottery tickets. The game had a number of flaws.

#1 The environment looks like one giant junk yard. It gets tiresome quickly.
                    #2 The enemies are limited to a handful, and killing them gets tiresome quickly.
                    #3 The classes seem like a copy paste of Teen Titans. Probably to try and appeal to their core audience.
                    #4 The quest system is about as bad as World of Warcrafts.

But then there's Borderlands 2 which fixed a lot of that. The environments are rich and better looking. The enemies have more variety which makes weapons you get more interesting, as some weapons work better against certain types of enemies. The characterization is better. The developers seem to be self aware that their game shouldn't be taken too serious so a lot more comedy was thrown in. A lot more effort was thrown into quests to almost forget that they just direct you to kill random mobs. Even side quests are worth doing cause they can be very interesting.

Comment

You need to play the game on Linux for a week or to for the porters to get credit (which is what I'll be doing unless the Linux version is on par with windows):

Comment

Working...
                      X