Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade to Kaveri, very slow VDPAU performance

Hi,

today I upgraded my HTPC from an A4-3400 to A10-7800 to create a small SteamBox

Sadly now VDPAU is working very very slow and is unusable. Even SD Videos are not smooth. I'm using openSUSE 13.1 with Kernel 3.17 and Mesa 10.3. The very same system was working fine using VDPAU on the old APU. Do I need to change something for a Kaveri APU? I hope somebody can help me...

My qvdpautest results:

Code:
    qvdpautest 0.5.2
    AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G
    Unknown GPU

VDPAU API version : 1
    VDPAU implementation : G3DVL VDPAU Driver Shared Library version 1.0

FATAL: get_bits failed : No backend implementation could be loaded.!!

MPEG DECODING (1920x1080): 21 frames/s
    MPEG DECODING (1280x720): 49 frames/s
    H264 DECODING (1920x1080): 11 frames/s
    H264 DECODING (1280x720): 26 frames/s
    Profile unsupported.
    MPEG4 DECODING (1920x1080): 19 frames/s

MIXER WEAVE (1920x1080): 533 frames/s
    MIXER BOB (1920x1080): 347 fields/s
    MIXER TEMPORAL (1920x1080): 86 fields/s
    MIXER TEMPORAL + IVTC (1920x1080): 141 fields/s
    MIXER TEMPORAL + SKIP_CHROMA (1920x1080): 163 fields/s
    MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL (1920x1080): 147 fields/s
    MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL + IVTC (1920x1080): 141 fields/s
    MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL + SKIP_CHROMA (1920x1080): 158 fields/s
    MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL (720x576 video to 1920x1080 display): 350 fields/s

MULTITHREADED MPEG DECODING (1920x1080): 16 frames/s
    MULTITHREADED MIXER TEMPORAL (1920x1080): 167 fields/s

after googling and testing I found that my GPU is always running on the lowest power state, the following is giving the same results every time, while being idle, running VDPAU programs, running qvdpautest or glxgears (withut vsync):

Code:
    cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/radeon_pm_info
    power level 0    sclk: 35122 vddc: 4900
    Changing the values of /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state or /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level has no effect.

But dpm should be enabled:

Code:
    dmesg | grep drm | grep dpm
    [    2.248826] [drm] radeon: dpm initialized

Comment

Boot with drm.debug=2, check dmesg for what states are found.

Comment

Thanks for the hint

Sadly I cannot find anything in the log about power states, but I found this:

Code:
        [    3.514232] [drm:radeon_acpi_init] Call to ATCS verify_interface failed: -5
        [    3.514235] [drm:radeon_acpi_init] Call to ATIF verify_interface failed: -5
        You can find the complete dmesg output here: http://pastebin.com/pe6FjHmN

Could this be a hardware related problem? Sometimes, especially after reboots the system does not boot because of this:

Code:
        BUG: soft lockup - CPU#2 stuck for 23s! [systemd-journald:127]

Comment

Originally posted by balta View Post
          Could this be a hardware related problem? Sometimes, especially after reboots the system does not boot because of this:

Code:
          BUG: soft lockup - CPU#2 stuck for 23s! [systemd-journald:127]
          These problems were gone if I blacklist the radeon driver, so it has to do something with this driver and is likely no hardware issue. Sadly I cannot test using fglrx as this is still not supporting X 1.16...

Besides... is there any reason why there is no edit functionality in this forum?

Comment

There is edit functionality but it's only available for the first 5 minutes after initial post.

My post count growth would probably be 30-40% lower if that timeout were extended.
            Test signature

Comment

Please file a bug (https://bugs.freedesktop.org) and attach your xorg log and dmesg output.

Comment

Originally posted by balta View Post
                Thanks for the hint

Sadly I cannot find anything in the log about power states, but I found this:
                Oh, I see you need to disable dpm to get that debug output. radeon.dpm=0 drm.debug=2

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Oh, I see you need to disable dpm to get that debug output. radeon.dpm=0 drm.debug=2
                  dpm is enabled by default. You need to explicitly set it on to enable additional debug output to avoid spamming your logs. E.g., radeon.dpm=1

Comment

I have posted the bugreport: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=85107

I will test later if I get more debug output with radeon.dpm=1 drm.debug=2

Comment

Working...
                    X