AMD's New Open-Source "AMDGPU" Linux Driver Supports The R9 285 Tonga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's New Open-Source "AMDGPU" Linux Driver Supports The R9 285 Tonga

Phoronix: AMD's New Open-Source "AMDGPU" Linux Driver Supports The R9 285 Tonga

Last week we wrote about AMD's new unified open-source / Catalyst Linux graphics driver strategy and now today we know a bit more information... The AMDGPU kernel driver isn't starting off with the Radeon Rx 300 series but rather the already out Radeon R9 285 "Tonga" graphics card will be the first GPU to use the new driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank you for the confirmation, Alex. I was kind of guessing this was the case.

Will be upgrading my R7 260X to a R9 285 very soon.

Comment

Nice to know where the line will be. I will probably buy AMD next time I upgrade; unless Nvidia does a huge U-turn and catches up in openness, then regular price/performance rules apply.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
        Nice to know where the line will be. I will probably buy AMD next time I upgrade; unless Nvidia does a huge U-turn and catches up in openness, then regular price/performance rules apply.
        I think they have been trying to. Their strategy on ARM is very open, and I see them moving in that general direction.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
          I think they have been trying to. Their strategy on ARM is very open, and I see them moving in that general direction.
          Good to hear. I want competition. I don't think enough Nvidia fans and customers let them know they are not open enough, though. Sure, their driver works very well, but let's be just as pushy towards them as we have been towards AMD.

Comment

Noob question: since amdgpu is based on radeon, isn't it possible to back port the code to radeon, just for the time amdgpu will stay in linux stage branch?

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
              Noob question: since amdgpu is based on radeon, isn't it possible to back port the code to radeon, just for the time amdgpu will stay in linux stage branch?
              I've been wondering this too.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
                It's not clear to me what you are asking. If there are bug fixes applicable to both drivers, we will apply the fix to both.

Comment

I hope Nvidia adopts same strategy as AMD here.
                  Heck, I hope Nvidia re-uses the same interface as AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    It's not clear to me what you are asking. If there are bug fixes applicable to both drivers, we will apply the fix to both.
                    From what I understood, amdgpu driver will be forked from the radeon driver source code.
                    So, from what as Michael is saying:
                    It turns out though that there isn't open-source driver support for the R9 285 in the current open-source Radeon driver.
                    When R9 285 support arrives in amdgpu driver code, why don't we back port it to the radeon driver code?
                    (because I don't think amdgpu will get out of the kernel stage branch right when it will be pushed into the kernel code base)

Is it clearer?

PS: but it's still good to know that fixes will go both ways
                    Last edited by Creak; 13 October 2014, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X