No announcement yet.

Like The Other BSDs, DragonFlyBSD Lags Greatly Behind With Its GPU Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone who wants to use their graphics cards (or dedicated cards, like Tesla) for number crunching will go for Nvidia and their proprietary drivers anyways, to get the best performance with the best quality drivers. On Linux AND at least FreeBSD.
    So why would they need that functionality in the BSD kernel.

Also, where is your project, so that we can analyze your management style? For now you're just sounding like a dumb sports fan yelling at his TV that he can do better than the real players.

By the way, calling people dullards or Fucktards will not make your arguments magically more valid. Of course you will learn that at one point in your process of growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by System25 View Post
      You guys are LOL. Of course it is easier to suspect conspiracy rather than manage projects properly. I'm afraid you'll have a loooooooong list of "sockpuppets" who consider BSDish project management crap.
      It is just that you fail to alter your arguments and posting style when using your different accounts. You even use exactly the same insults and make the same grammatical mistakes. In short, it is quite obvious that you fail at trolling, indicating that you are as unintelligent as your bogus "arguments" already indicate.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        I am not sure what exactly the point of this article was tbh.
        Sure DragonFlyBSD has not really focussed on graphics support but who cares? It supports many video cards flawlessly and if you want to run DragonFlyBSD to take advantage of some of its awesome features then you are probably quite able to get hold of the compatible hardware.
        What is with this obsession about nifty 3D acceleration, compositing WM and other effects that is plaguing open-source these days?
        Maybe because very few people live out of the terminal at this point? Besides compositing isn't just fancy glitter, if you learn to actually use for instance Kwin you can improve your workflow.

Further exactly the attitude you're spouting of "Well I don't use X why should anyone else want to" is the real plague of the open source community today. You should be happy that DragonFly, Free, and OpenBSD are expanding their hardware support, instead you're just pissing all over their parade going "If someone wants to run our software they should just buy the right hardware for it, we shouldn't expand out our support".

Further your statement completely ignores users with pre-existing hardware that are interested in using a BSD do you really want to exclude them or do you not actually want new users? If so then congratulations you want the BSD community to die as much as endman.

Be happy that the BSDs are expanding their hardware support, as it means that you will have more choices, and wider hardware support means that it is open to more users who will either improve or have a null effect on your experience.

Comment

System25 is right on the mark. The power that GPUs provided out matches CPU by huge proportions and many organisations and poeple are using GPUs for calculations in which CPU would be inadequate. An OS that is lacks in proper support for GPUs is near complete useless shit hole.

A great example are the BSDs (all of them). Even though they ported Linux driver to their BSD kernels, they have not been enable to fully hareness the power of this drivers and thus the GPU due to thier shitty kernels. There have be infighting in the BSD projects because of this where many devs were expelled. BSD projects are not only know for crappy project managment but also infighting and fragmentation. We can see the fight between two BSD fanboys kpederson and Luke_Wolf as an example.

Back to GPUs, there is know a move to replace the CPU with the GPU completely. If is goes ahead, it will be the end of BSD and the crap associated with it as BSD kernels cannot handle the full power of GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
            Calling kpederson an idiot....
            Classic BSD infighting. Keep fighting. We want to see how disunited the BSDs are.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_lesser View Post
              System25 is right on the mark. The power that GPUs provided out matches CPU by huge proportions and many organisations and poeple are using GPUs for calculations in which CPU would be inadequate. An OS that is lacks in proper support for GPUs is near complete useless shit hole.

A great example are the BSDs (all of them). Even though they ported Linux driver to their BSD kernels, they have not been enable to fully hareness the power of this drivers and thus the GPU due to thier shitty kernels. There have be infighting in the BSD projects because of this where many devs were expelled. BSD projects are not only know for crappy project managment but also infighting and fragmentation. We can see the fight between two BSD fanboys kpederson and Luke_Wolf as an example.

Back to GPUs, there is know a move to replace the CPU with the GPU completely. If is goes ahead, it will be the end of BSD and the crap associated with it as BSD kernels cannot handle the full power of GPUs.
              Now come back logged in as 'endman' to further enlighten us... Or perhaps 'Pawlerson'? Hahahahahaha, pathetic loser...

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
                Anyone who wants to use their graphics cards (or dedicated cards, like Tesla) for number crunching will go for Nvidia and their proprietary drivers anyways,
                Another example of blatant bullshit, related to project management. Let's admit some common pitfalls FBSD nuts tend to disregard...
                1) If I want to use open system, large chunk of proprietary software is absolutely last thing I want to see. If it was not a case, there is Windows already, so according to your own logic I fail to see why Linux or BSDs should exist at all. So I would classify your logical chain as brain-damaged. I wouldn't be surprised to learn you dual boot to windows or mac os, proving us one more time FBSD stinks as desktop. You see, opensource provides certain level of assurance about good intentions. It makes unpopular decisions hard, it allows to override or fix things if in dire need, it shows us there is no intention to put backdoors, etc and there is at least willingness to coooperate. Nvidia gave us more than valid reason to stay miles away from their crap by ditching "extra" monitors support. Its so cool when someone screws up your drivers! Showing us once more that if you run proprietary software, you can face ripoff and unpopular decisions you'll be unable to override. And it's not like if I'm in mood to be fucked up in the middle of doing my tasks "because some proprietary moron has decided so". So IMO the best treatment Nvidia can get has been shown by Mr. Torvalds.

2) AMD GPUs are actually far better for many common tasks I could be interested in. Mining coins? Massively parallel crypto acceleration? AMD would beat nvidia to the hell - their GPUs are better suited for these tasks. And its not like if I need some heavy-weight double precision floating computations at home, so Tesla can GTFO with their price to performance ratio. It maybe okay for some scientific applications, but I'm not interesred in simulating nuclear explosions at home. So I do not give it a fuck to hardcore double precision floating point performance, etc. But I care if GPU is slow, hot and power hungry crap. For me its kinda amusing to see how $180 AMD GPU beats the crap out of Tesla at mining coins. Needless to say, go buy Tesla yourself.

3) You should be really moron to do such a funny "teamshooting". Now go ask some OpenBSD guys what they think about Nvidia, lol (I've heard a lot of swearing about Nvidia when asked some friend running OpenBSD). I guess same would go for DFBSD as well, That's where proprietary crap shows its true nature. Seriously, why the fsck Nvidia thinks it is okay to deny even slightest chance to "unsupported" OSes by both refusing to provide source AND specs? Why the fsck nvidia nuts should have power to decide which OS is worth of existence? This just totally freakin' wrong.

4) The outcome is rather funny. Sony can run AAA games on PS4. FBSD suxx wuthout APU drivers and unable to handle even some mid-range game like Xonotic on similar hardware. That's how your freedom ends: user is free to buy DRMed sony crap or use third-rate free system which lacks drivers. <sarcasm> I really appreciate such freedom </sarcasm>

So what? You've shown us you're proprietary-minded nut who dose not even cares about wellbeing of "adjacent" BSDs, be it DFBSD or OpenBSD. Cand you dullards see your logic is what fucks up a lot of things in long run? Both denying your freedom to shape future of your project, screwing up adjacend projects, etc. It is purely amusing how short-sighted some zealots could be, being unable to evaluate how their short term gain transforms into global, large-scale FAIL of the whole project and adjacent ecosystems around it.

to get the best performance with the best quality drivers. On Linux AND at least FreeBSD.
                The only "little" problem is that this topic is about DFBSD and I wish you luck to show us what your freakin' nvidia can do in DFBSD. If you'll show us better FPS than in Linux, outperform in computations, etc - I will shut up and admit I've been seriously wrong about my views about BSDish project management wreckage. To make things even more funny, IIRC Nvidia does not even oficially supports computations of FBSD. Can't you see, your logic flawed to the hell. I bet you've never even thought about using GPUs to compute something, don't you?

Also, where is your project, so that we can analyze your management style?
                Well, this topic haves nothing to do with my project management style. But let admit I really do not have to be a bull to be able to admit bullshit stinks. I wonder if you're able to use your brain at all. Are you?

For now you're just sounding like a dumb sports fan yelling at his TV that he can do better than the real players.
                And you sound like a brainless zealot who is unable to use brain. Sorry for being fair.

By the way, calling people dullards or Fucktards will not make your arguments magically more valid.
                Of course. So I bothered myself with bunch of more or less logically valid statements. And I do not fool myself about software properties.

Of course you will learn that at one point in your process of growing up.
                I have already learned that ones who mumbling about growing up are ether kids or just dullards who failed to develop their brains so they got stuck on kid-style mindflow, being unable to compute mid and even short term consequences of very own actions.

P.S. and speaking of OS communities, I would grant "worst community ever" award to FBSD. Thanks to zealots like you who seems to be the only leftovers of their "community". These days it is really troublesome to find sane FBSD users who haven't lost their minds.

Comment

Another example of blatant bullshit, related to project management. Let's admit some common pitfalls FBSD nuts tend to disregard...
                  1) If I want to use open system, large chunk of proprietary software is absolutely last thing I want to see. If it was not a case, there is Windows already, so according to your own logic I fail to see why Linux or BSDs should exist at all. So I would classify your logical chain as brain-damaged. I wouldn't be surprised to learn you dual boot to windows or mac os, proving us one more time FBSD stinks as desktop. You see, opensource provides certain level of assurance about good intentions. It makes unpopular decisions hard, it allows to override or fix things if in dire need, it shows us there is no intention to put backdoors, etc and there is at least willingness to coooperate. Nvidia gave us more than valid reason to stay miles away from their crap by ditching "extra" monitors support. Its so cool when someone screws up your drivers! Showing us once more that if you run proprietary software, you can face ripoff and unpopular decisions you'll be unable to override. And it's not like if I'm in mood to be fucked up in the middle of doing my tasks "because some proprietary moron has decided so". So IMO the best treatment Nvidia can get has been shown by Mr. Torvalds.

2) AMD GPUs are actually far better for many common tasks I could be interested in. Mining coins? Massively parallel crypto acceleration? AMD would beat nvidia to the hell - their GPUs are better suited for these tasks. And its not like if I need some heavy-weight double precision floating computations at home, so Tesla can GTFO with their price to performance ratio. It maybe okay for some scientific applications, but I'm not interesred in simulating nuclear explosions at home. So I do not give it a fuck to hardcore double precision floating point performance, etc. But I care if GPU is slow, hot and power hungry crap. For me its kinda amusing to see how $180 AMD GPU beats the crap out of Tesla at mining coins. Needless to say, go buy Tesla yourself.

3) You should be really moron to do such a funny "teamshooting". Now go ask some OpenBSD guys what they think about Nvidia, lol (I've heard a lot of swearing about Nvidia when asked some friend running OpenBSD). I guess same would go for DFBSD as well, That's where proprietary crap shows its true nature. Seriously, why the fsck Nvidia thinks it is okay to deny even slightest chance to "unsupported" OSes by both refusing to provide source AND specs? Why the fsck nvidia nuts should have power to decide which OS is worth of existence? This just totally freakin' wrong.

4) The outcome is rather funny. Sony can run AAA games on PS4. FBSD suxx wuthout APU drivers and unable to handle even some mid-range game like Xonotic on similar hardware. That's how your freedom ends: user is free to buy DRMed sony crap or use third-rate free system which lacks drivers. <sarcasm> I really appreciate such freedom </sarcasm>

So what? You've shown us you're proprietary-minded nut who dose not even cares about wellbeing of "adjacent" BSDs, be it DFBSD or OpenBSD. Cand you dullards see your logic is what fucks up a lot of things in long run? Both denying your freedom to shape future of your project, screwing up adjacend projects, etc. It is purely amusing how short-sighted some zealots could be, being unable to evaluate how their short term gain transforms into global, large-scale FAIL of the whole project and adjacent ecosystems around it.

The only "little" problem is that this topic is about DFBSD and I wish you luck to show us what your freakin' nvidia can do in DFBSD. If you'll show us better FPS than in Linux, outperform in computations, etc - I will shut up and admit I've been seriously wrong about my views about BSDish project management wreckage. To make things even more funny, IIRC Nvidia does not even oficially supports computations of FBSD. Can't you see, your logic flawed to the hell. I bet you've never even thought about using GPUs to compute something, don't you?

Well, this topic haves nothing to do with my project management style. But let admit I really do not have to be a bull to be able to admit bullshit stinks. I wonder if you're able to use your brain at all. Are you?

And you sound like a brainless zealot who is unable to use brain. Sorry for being fair.

Of course. So I bothered myself with bunch of more or less logically valid statements. And I do not fool myself about software properties.

I have already learned that ones who mumbling about growing up are ether kids or just dullards who failed to develop their brains so they got stuck on kid-style mindflow, being unable to compute mid and even short term consequences of very own actions.

P.S. and speaking of OS communities, I would grant "worst community ever" award to FBSD. Thanks to zealots like you who seems to be the only leftovers of their "community". These days it is really troublesome to find sane FBSD users who haven't lost their minds.
                  WTF is your problem? Project management is directly related with resources... Can't you see this? FreeBSD, which is by large the most healthy BSD project in resources is light years behind Linux in this respect. Now the others... In fact, the BSD's do incredible things with their limited resources; if something this shows is that there is a great project management.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                    WTF is your problem? Project management is directly related with resources... Can't you see this?
                    Of course I can. And generally speaking, BSDs had 10 more years to chew on it, before Linux even appeared. Theoretically, Linux should not exist - if BSD guys were better in their project managing skills. But it wasn't a case. Torvalds told he has been unlikely to create his system if there was some another system which would work for him. Yet, exceptionally shitty project managemend of BSDs prevented all that. Linus has been so epically better in project management skills that he managed to outrun BSDs even regardless of 10 years longer history, etc. He managed to attract far more resources and make system which is even welcomed by corporations. And then proper licensing prevented corporations from switching to eParasites mode. That's what I call good project management for sure.

FreeBSD, which is by large the most healthy BSD project in resources is light years behind Linux in this respect.
                    Is it so damn hard to understand that if your project management suxx, you can't expect people to come and happily work for your trashbin, wasting their time? IMHO this state of things, together with 10 years longer history is a direct indication of shitty project management. BSDs had each and every chance to perform better than Linux. It has been their ignorance and inability to manage software projects what fucks things up. You see, people are in mood to work for Linux because ... it managed well enough to be able to cope with real world tasks and even can often do it better than other systems can. BSDs virtually never cared how their crap performs in real world. So why you expect people will be happy to waste resources on this crap? Are you nuts?

Now the others... In fact, the BSD's do incredible things with their limited resources; if something this shows is that there is a great project management.
                    In fact it is BSD project management what is guilty of lack of resources in first place. If project looks like trashbin and works like trashbin, very few people will be in mood to put their efforts on such crap. I wonder why you're unable to compute such a simple logical chain yourself so I should bother myself to explain it at all.

Comment

Of course I can. And generally speaking, BSDs had 10 more years to chew on it, before Linux even appeared. Theoretically, Linux should not exist - if BSD guys were better in their project managing skills. But it wasn't a case. Torvalds told he has been unlikely to create his system if there was some another system which would work for him. Yet, exceptionally shitty project managemend of BSDs prevented all that. Linus has been so epically better in project management skills that he managed to outrun BSDs even regardless of 10 years longer history, etc. He managed to attract far more resources and make system which is even welcomed by corporations. And then proper licensing prevented corporations from switching to eParasites mode. That's what I call good project management for sure.
                      In any case, if BSD had terrible project management, it has nothing to do with what is BSD now.

Is it so damn hard to understand that if your project management suxx, you can't expect people to come and happily work for your trashbin, wasting their time?
                      So, what exactly is your definition of "good project management"? You can't just expect to do "good project management" and suddenly have unlimited budget; Linux is an incredibly excepcional case. I'm pretty sure Linus never had a "good management"; he was absolutely clueless about the phenomenon Linux would be.

IMHO this state of things, together with 10 years longer history is a direct indication of shitty project management. BSDs had each and every chance to perform better than Linux. It has been their ignorance and inability to manage software projects what fucks things up. You see, people are in mood to work for Linux because ... it managed well enough to be able to cope with real world tasks and even can often do it better than other systems can. BSDs virtually never cared how their crap performs in real world. So why you expect people will be happy to waste resources on this crap? Are you nuts?
                      Again, Linux is an excepcional case... It has nothing to do with "project management"; neither BSD had terrible "PM" nor Linux had outstanding "PM". So BSD didn't care back then about the "real world", yet everybody was running BSD back then.

In fact it is BSD project management what is guilty of lack of resources in first place. If project looks like trashbin and works like trashbin, very few people will be in mood to put their efforts on such crap. I wonder why you're unable to compute such a simple logical chain yourself so I should bother myself to explain it at all.
                      The PROJECT MANAGEMENT do their best to find resources, and do their best to MANAGE efficiently the resources. You can go ahead and look at the FreeBSD Foundation, for example. Not having unlimited resources like Linux DOES NOT translate into bad management. But you are just an idiot who can't even take some time to think about what he is saying.

Comment

Working...
                      X