No announcement yet.

Wine Direct3D Command Stream Not Landing Anytime Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wine feedback works in many cases (bugzilla is highly active with many users reporting errors, in my case and many other users solve issues thanks to this)

However for feedback can usefull you must be use vanilla wine version (amd users too supported with vanilla wine)

Last edited by pinguinpc; 12 October 2014, 03:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
      Why is CSMT better suited for many cores?
      I thought it was using one thread for the DX translations, why do you need more than 2?
      (Well I mean 1 thread for that, and one for the rest )
      Regular Wine uses only 1 or 2 threads for D3D -> OGL translation. CSMT allows your PC to use many cores. Graphic drivers already do this to keep the GPU well fed. Why you think everyone is talking about Mantle, DX12, and OpenGL-Next? It's getting harder to keep the GPU at max speed.
      Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
      Galllium nine only affects minor quantity of wine users (mostly opensource amd users) compared to mainbase wine users (most users in wine have nvidia cards on linux and mac with propietary drivers) for this and other reasons for wine devs dont give support

I understand but most of the feedback comes from Linux. While majority of Linux users have Nvidia, that won't always be like that. I thought the Gallium-Nine also effects Intel users?

None of this is going to stop people from patching Wine and continuing to fragment it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        Regular Wine uses only 1 or 2 threads for D3D -> OGL translation. CSMT allows your PC to use many cores. Graphic drivers already do this to keep the GPU well fed. Why you think everyone is talking about Mantle, DX12, and OpenGL-Next? It's getting harder to keep the GPU at max speed.

I understand but most of the feedback comes from Linux. While majority of Linux users have Nvidia, that won't always be like that. I thought the Gallium-Nine also effects Intel users?
        1- I don't get it, in his first email Stefen wrote "It moves most OpenGL calls into a separate thread to improve performance (bug 11674) " and then " Yes, this is essentially the same as Nvidia's __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS." which (short) definition would be "the NVIDIA OpenGL driver supports offloading its CPU computation to a worker thread."

All of these just mention one more thread, not as many as needed.

2- Intel's official driver doesn't use Gallium3d, only classic mesa, so they cannot use this state tracker. Nouveau though should be able to (and the unofficial intel Gallium3d as well, but not sure who uses it).

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
          I understand but most of the feedback comes from Linux.

While majority of Linux users have Nvidia, that won't always be like that. I thought the Gallium-Nine also effects Intel users?

None of this is going to stop people from patching Wine and continuing to fragment it.
          This is correct but various mac users send feedback (issues with apps)

If Gallium devs encounter mode for run in all hardware (AMD/INTEL-NVIDIA) with various type of drivers (open/closed) and works out of linux maybe Wine Devs give support

Lastest wine have many work in D3D9 this is another reason because i dont believe them give support

However next versions of mesa/catayst (amd case) maybe give more performance in regular wine, its only time matter

Comment

Working...
          X