NVIDIA Presents Its Driver Plans To Support Mir/Wayland & KMS On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tipho View Post
    Not sure about that. The proposed EGL extensions used in those Weston patches are cowritten by Canonical. I think it's fair to assume the Mir side of things is probably already taken care of.
    No as a lot of them are Wayland EGL extensions, Canonical is about 3 years behind with Mir, and the sad part is they copyed a lot from Wayland, and Xorg, but are doing it in there own way,. i think this is going to end up the most fucked up thing Linux has seen in the pasted 20 years.

Comment

In this slide: http://www.phoronix.net/image.php?id..._wayland_3_med
      "Similar to how NVIDIA interfaces to DRM for Prime support"
      But... Prime is the cross device buffer sharing framework in DRM, created for Optimus!
      It's a sing of the future official support of Optimus into the NVIDIA driver?

Comment

Mir will go the way of Upstart.

Canonical is all over the place at the moment; a sort of sloppy mess of unfocused strategy and weak-kneed commitment. A half-dead fish with a vision of swimming against the flow but no vigor to do so. They squandered the mindshare capital they accumulated over the years by indulging the GNOME / Apple hubris of "we'll tell you how it's going to be".

They're done.

An also-ran soon to join the long list of yesterday's distros that litter the history of Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

Canonical is all over the place at the moment; a sort of sloppy mess of unfocused strategy and weak-kneed commitment. A half-dead fish with a vision of swimming against the flow but no vigor to do so. They squandered the mindshare capital they accumulated over the years by indulging the GNOME / Apple hubris of "we'll tell you how it's going to be".

They're done.

An also-ran soon to join the long list of yesterday's distros that litter the history of Linux.
          Right? thats why they are number 1?

Comment

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
            i think this is going to end up the most fucked up thing Linux has seen in the pasted 20 years.
            I doubt that is true. Mir is great simply because it has given Wayland some competition. Wayland was limping along for years, doing little to nothing, before Mir came along, "utilized the codebase", and started trying to do something with it.

Comment

They're done.

I think that it's more likely that they give up on Mir and adopt Wayland before they slide that far downhill...that's not to say that some distro won't knock them off their pedistal in the meantime for different reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
                I doubt that is true. Mir is great simply because it has given Wayland some competition. Wayland was limping along for years, doing little to nothing, before Mir came along, "utilized the codebase", and started trying to do something with it.
                You have the timeline mixed up. Wayland announced API stability shortly before Mir was announced. It was that API stability that other projects had been waiting for before getting to work on their own Wayland implementations, and work in those projects and attention to Wayland ramped up immediately after the announcement, even before the Mir announcement.

Whether the timing of the Mir announcement was a coincidence or was an intentional attempt to ride on the coat-tails of the increased interested in Wayland stemming from the API stability announcement is anyone's guess, but there is no reason at all to think that Mir had any influence on the pace of work on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                  You have the timeline mixed up. Wayland announced API stability shortly before Mir was announced. It was that API stability that other projects had been waiting for before getting to work on their own Wayland implementations, and work in those projects and attention to Wayland ramped up immediately after the announcement, even before the Mir announcement.

Whether the timing of the Mir announcement was a coincidence or was an intentional attempt to ride on the coat-tails of the increased interested in Wayland stemming from the API stability announcement is anyone's guess, but there is no reason at all to think that Mir had any influence on the pace of work on Wayland.
                  Bingo

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
                  please show me all of this competition, i'd like to see it even the lead developer of wayland stepped away, as the projected is done the only thing now is to add-in the last little bit's of code, improvement's, and maintain it, just like the Linux Kernel.

They're done.

Mir Canonical's new Dodo?

Comment

I wonder why people still spread the myth that Mir somehow kicked Wayland into gear.

Can't see any change in commits after March 2013, which is when Mir was announced.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                      I wonder why people still spread the myth that Mir somehow kicked Wayland into gear.

Can't see any change in commits after March 2013, which is when Mir was announced.
                      Mir kicked Wayland only more into public media :P.

Comment

Working...
                      X