Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine 2.0 Is In Alpha With Many Changes & OpenGL 4.5 Support

Phoronix: Unigine 2.0 Is In Alpha With Many Changes & OpenGL 4.5 Support

Unigine Corp has revealed today that Unigine 2.0 has been under development for about one year and with this major revision to their technologically-amazing but seldom adopted engine is OpenGL 4.5 rendering support and other changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"experimental support for physically-based rendering"

nice
    i still remember seeing the Sony tech demo for the first time

Comment

I'm quite impressed with the water marks on the wooden table

Comment

Nice group of people to work with. Great technology. But the problem is going to be cost. The fact that we now have subscription models from the major engines now puts the up front cost aspect out of mind for people. At one point, when I was talking with them, they did think about spinning a seperate model for game developers and removing some of the feature that the visualization community used. I don't know if that is going to be possible or not. They obviously are still thriving but in a different arena.

If it weren't for the subscription models out there they would be pretty viable if people did the math. When I got a quote from them the initial cost was high but if my team had 5 or more people it would have been cheaper than paying for everything I would have needed to use Unity3D. Note that at the time quotes were done on a per company basis so what I received could have been lower/higher than others.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          I'm quite impressed with the water marks on the wooden table
          It could be a photo of a real table, it looks a lot like mine, wait a little

Comment

Are they going to reintroduce Webgl with Webgl 2?

Comment

Originally posted by migizi View Post
              Nice group of people to work with. Great technology. But the problem is going to be cost. The fact that we now have subscription models from the major engines now puts the up front cost aspect out of mind for people. At one point, when I was talking with them, they did think about spinning a seperate model for game developers and removing some of the feature that the visualization community used. I don't know if that is going to be possible or not. They obviously are still thriving but in a different arena.

If it weren't for the subscription models out there they would be pretty viable if people did the math. When I got a quote from them the initial cost was high but if my team had 5 or more people it would have been cheaper than paying for everything I would have needed to use Unity3D. Note that at the time quotes were done on a per company basis so what I received could have been lower/higher than others.
              It depends on your model for making money from your product. Unigines model can put you out in front of a percentage of sales if you know you are likely to make more than a certain amount. Of course you have got to have the money to spend on it up front which can sometimes be difficult.

You have to factor in that for the previous version at least, that your artists are going to take a bit more time in development and you are going to need a coder, on the other hand the engine is much cleaner than any of the other offerings and currently scales up better than any of the engines available for subscription that I have tried.

Comment

I wonder what keeps these companies alive when there is almost no game using their engines. (Unigine, Unity, Leadwerks etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  I wonder what keeps these companies alive when there is almost no game using their engines. (Unigine, Unity, Leadwerks etc.)
                  Almost no games using Unity? What are you smoking?

Unigine also has many customers but they don't use it for games.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    Unity3D has a ton of games that use it's engine, they just don't brag about it in the game's opening credits like some other engine users do *cough*Unreal*cough*. E.g. the extremely popular indie game "Rust" uses it.
                    As for Unigine, it makes a boatload of money off of companies that want it's engine for simulation purposes, since it's one of the best engines for it.

dunno about Leadwerks though, I haven't really heard anything about it except what's been published on this site.

Comment

Working...
                    X