The Slides Announcing The New "AMDGPU" Kernel Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by entropy View Post
    Edit: Or ist that the blob is userland only?
    Look at the slides. No more closed source kernel modules.

Basically, the current radeon kernel drivers gets improved, renamed to amdgpu, and can then be used both by mesa, as well as catalyst's closed opengl stack.

awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
      I also wonder what this means to Carrizo APU...possibly it will not cover it but we will see.
      Carrizo is supposed to be Vulcanic Islands (not that this would be confirmed).
      So same as Tonga (r9 285). Which fits neither the category of unreleased new hardware nor the one of supported with current driver so I wonder what's up with that one :-).

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
        The AMDGPU kernel driver is only going to support new, unreleased hardware while the current Radeon driver stack won't be enabled for these future "Pirate Islands" Rx 300 series hardware.

?????? only new????

I'm sorry but amd no more, I'm waiting for a good driver for my apu a8 5600k, I have problems with opensource drivers and sound https://www.libreoffice.org/bugzilla...g.cgi?id=76837

and the catalyst driver is a mess. NO MORE AMD
        Isn't it governor somehow interfere there? Overclocking maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Isn't it governor somehow interfere there? Overclocking maybe?
          I have disabled all overlocking options on the bios :'(..., with catalyst I don't have sound isssue but very laggish performance, with radeon very good performance but sound issue --.--

Comment

Just to be clear, the proprietary microcode is no longer needed?

Comment

Originally posted by SolidSteel144 View Post
              Just to be clear, the proprietary microcode is no longer needed?
              This change has nothing to do with the microcode. I don't expect AMD to open that one up... It is already shared between open and closed driver already however.

Comment

I have disabled all overlocking options on the bios :'(..., with catalyst I don't have sound isssue but very laggish performance, with radeon very good performance but sound issue --.--
                So you play with governor options and turned on performance mode? Did not understand quite from the bug, is it only with some particular apps or all?

Comment

So you play with governor options and turned on performance mode? Did not understand quite from the bug, is it only with some particular apps or all?
                  Yes I tried all, this happen with all the apps when radeon.dpm is enabled... , flash, rhythmbox, amarok, vlc, clementine, etc etc , sounds skips or glitches every 4/5 minutes

Comment

Yes I tried all, this happen with all the apps when radeon.dpm is enabled... , flash, rhythmbox, amarok, vlc, clementine, etc etc , sounds skips or glitches every 4/5 minutes
                    What sound driver is used there? snd-usb-audio?

Again did you play with PM modes, cpufreq governor modes radeon driver is known to interfere somehow with default ondemand? Or kernel parameters for the sound driver, some drivers have power saving features so glitches might came from those too?

Comment

What sound driver is used there? snd-usb-audio?

Again did you play with PM modes, cpufreq governor modes radeon driver is known to interfere somehow with default ondemand? Or kernel parameters for the sound driver, some drivers have power saving features so glitches might came from those too?
                      I don't know, but I tried with the internal sound card and with an usb sound card, logilink, and the same problema, I think that there is a bug with cpu power management on my apu/bios..., I lost my hope

Comment

Working...
                      X