Systemd 217 Will Introduce Its New "Consoled" User Console Daemon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
    good thing: this will probably will make things better related to the console daemon.
    not a good thing: another thing under the control (and dependent) of systemd.
    At least that's what I understood.
    That some of the many systemd developer are actually solving decades old, extremely hard problems like the kernel console support, should be praised.

There have been endless debates over this on LKML, and so many top coders have given up in disgust about it the last decade.

Finally somebody is working on it. And yes, David Herrmann have also made kmscon and several other pieces so non-systemd users have full support, so they don't even have to code a single line of kernel code in order to have a better console support in user space.

Sure, systemd users get all the fancy logind support etc. but this won't rob non-systemd users from anything they already have.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-L View Post
      Correction. Is a good thing, that is under the control of a init system, seriously; I don't see any other point where it would make sense to put a user-accessible console subsystem other than when the kernel starts (the current) or when the user-space/init daemon setups most of the system, by that, it could be anywhere after init, but if I were to choose, I still prefer any init daemon, including systemd, managing it.
      And what about the other init daemons that aren't systemd?

Comment

Originally posted by interested View Post
        That some of the many systemd developer are actually solving decades old, extremely hard problems like the kernel console support, should be praised.

There have been endless debates over this on LKML, and so many top coders have given up in disgust about it the last decade.

Finally somebody is working on it. And yes, David Herrmann have also made kmscon and several other pieces so non-systemd users have full support, so they don't even have to code a single line of kernel code in order to have a better console support in user space.

Sure, systemd users get all the fancy logind support etc. but this won't rob non-systemd users from anything they already have.
        +1

For systemd guys and gals: keep up the awesome work.

Opposition is good sign that you are making definite progress.

You are cutting away rotten meat, no wonder that corpses jumped up and started slumbering around.

Even if it doesn't succeed in first attempt ( which I think it will), it is highly likely that it will be used as good solid base for next, more advanced project.

Comment

Systemd continues to snowball in shit becoming a bigger ball of shit.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
            good thing: this will probably will make things better related to the console daemon.
            not a good thing: another thing under the control (and dependent) of systemd.
            At least that's what I understood.
            Well, it's the usual story... those who do the work get to make the decisions. And it's the systemd developers who actually sitting down and writing code to solve problems...

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
              And what about the other init daemons that aren't systemd?
              If CONSOLE_VT ever gets trashed, then there are alternatives already (even already mentioned in this whole thread), long before this thing of consoled. But so far systemd guys are the only ones pushing for it so, I either doubt CONSOLE_VT dissapears in the near and mid-term future, or that there will be no specific replacement for it, and consoled will be one of the few that will exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
                Systemd continues to snowball in shit becoming a bigger ball of shit.
                If you have that big of a problem with SystemD you have got to be a special brand of stupid.......

Comment

Nice. The day I can disable CONFIG_VT is coming close!

Comment

Keep it coming, Lenny!

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                      Sure, and personally, I'm happy with the changes they're making. I just mentioned the "flip side" as context for why it's a little contentious.
                      I am generally a bit suspicious about the whole "let's get as much of the OS as possible into systemd" which feels a bit anti-unix, but for this particular feature it does indeed make sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X