No announcement yet.

Lennart Poettering On The Open-Source Community: A Sick Place To Be In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People that are against Lennart or systemD act exactly like little spoiled brats.
    If you don't like systemD then don't use it. No one is forcing you to.
    You are using something for free, no one has to make you happy in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by clementl View Post
      Nonetheless, the amount of hate that's been spread is totally uncalled for. Any kind of such words in real life would get people arrested for hate speech.
      DA FUCK. Where do you live?!
      As for Lenard Pottering, who cares (who ever read the article LOL). I'm only here for the comments. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by mo0n_sniper View Post
        If you don't like systemD then don't use it. No one is forcing you to.
        That's kind of the center of most criticism -- that systemd and the systemd way
        of doing things "infects" a lot of unrelated packages, i.e. even if you don't like
        systemd, all your other options are slowly being taken away because some package/daemon
        you might like suddenly depends on systemd. (see udev for example).

I had high hopes for systemd too -- I liked the idea of a collection of daemons that
        worked together via standardized interfaces and could be administered through simple
        text UIs. However it has evolved into a gargantuan kitchensink-kit with no real benefit
        (other than very fast bootup, which is kind of a secondary point for servers) and
        crap to nonexistant documentation, and a focus on adding more features to the kitchensink
        rather than addressing the concerns of long-time linux/unix admins (instead theyre brushed
        aside as comments of greybeards standing in the way of "the future").

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
          That's kind of the center of most criticism -- that systemd and the systemd way
          of doing things "infects" a lot of unrelated packages
          That makes no sense. It is not like systemd is a living organism. Other developers actually have to spend time and effort writing that code that adds that dependency. They are not adding it just to piss you off. Lot of other software components are using the systemd provided interfaces because they serve an actual purpose than nothing else serves.

Now even you disagree with this approach, there is absolutely no reason to condone death threats and abusive behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by Pseus View Post
            TL;DR: shouldn't the current vocal minorities that disagree with systemd be the ones that do the fork?
            Most of them know just enough to complain but are too incompetent to actually build a competitive alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              He practically won no matter what every idiotic weirdbeard "hacker" has to say about him and/or his software. Pulseaudio is used by nearly everyone and the same goes for systemd. And i believe the same will happen with his plan on fixing the software installation problem (packaged ). He delivered all the other idiots didn't.
              Please backup your claims or i will be forced to mock you with a pending post.

Comment

Originally posted by ParticleBoard View Post
                The way it does log files with journald, the folding in of a qr code reader and webserver into an init process (lol).
                Except the qr code reader and webserver are not in the init process. And not running at all by default. And the http server is 2500 loc with 0 dependencies, nothing frightenning (the qr encoder is probably around the same).
                But hey, better complaining and spreading FUD than actually checking or thinking about it, right?

Comment

Unfortunately, he let these people know they can get to him. This is officially just the beginning.

Comment

"The Open-Source Community: A Sick Place To Be In"

Of course, none of the hate is deserved, or caused by Sir Poettering being an asshole or a bad leader. /sarcasm

No, I don't condone death threats. Yet, you can pick any amount of visible assholes that do not get the same amount of hate: Theo, Linus, Drepper. There's a reason for that, and it's not "The Open-Source Community".

Also, lol @ the FUD about 4chan. Must be convenient to have a scapegoat always ready at hand no matter the issue, reminds me of politics where it's always the fault of the Reps/Dems depending on who you ask.

Comment

As a GNU/Linux user of several distros and as a software developer, I just love SystemD. It's one of the best recent developments in my book, along with Gnome 3, Pulseaudio, (the promise of) Wayland, the open-source graphics drivers.

There have certainly been some problems but, little by little, everything just works (sensibly! - unlike the Ubuntus).

Comment

Working...
                      X