Fedora Might End Up Disabling Delta RPMs By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rgloor View Post
    I guess, like me, most users have a decent internet connection.
    But as you say, you *guess* that most users have a decent connection. That's the same logic the DNF developers used when disabling the feature. It's not a change that should be made without finding out if it's actually a correct guess.

Because it probably isn't. Internet connections within the US tend to be *much* better than those available elsewhere in the world... as other responses here and on the list have shown, many people are stuck on much slower connections, and with caps on speed and/or download sizes. The numbers those developers were talking about as "reasonable"... that's just unheard of for most of us...

Comment

Originally posted by mlkj View Post
      Well, I wish APT had delta debs...
      @mikj see debdelta.debian.net. I use it and it saves lot of time, bandwidth everything.

Comment

Delta rpms FTW! :-)

Though seriously... if they really were wondering what it was the people wanted, the most reasonable solution would be to just ask the user to choose during the first update that they ran (e.g. "Do you want to use delta rpm to save bandwidth at the cost of more cpu time during the update? [Y/n]").

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
          Delta rpms FTW! :-)

Though seriously... if they really were wondering what it was the people wanted, the most reasonable solution would be to just ask the user to choose during the first update that they ran (e.g. "Do you want to use delta rpm to save bandwidth at the cost of more cpu time during the update? [Y/n]").
          That to me would be the most logical choice. THere's probably a whole host of user-level options you could set prior to the first boot. Maybe list some repo's to add, configure plymouth, login manager themes and general themese, add other users.
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
            Or, when you are doing the update, check the connection speed to the server. If it is too low, use deltas, otherwise don't.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
              Or, when you are doing the update, check the connection speed to the server. If it is too low, use deltas, otherwise don't.
              What's the speed got to do with it? In insane places like USA and Australia you might have 100Mbps speed with a 200Mb monthly cap.

Comment

Working...
              X