OpenBenchmarking.org: Ubuntu Prepares To Be Overtaken By Arch Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
    Awesome, more Poettering-loving, "elite" alpha testers for Linux (= arch users), you are doing a great job guys, thank you!
    BTW, just hope and pray you don't have to leave the computer for more than one week (have you ever left your computer?), or that there isn't yet another arch-specific bug... because everything will crash and you'll be forced to reinstall everything, for the n-th time... oh, right, I forgot, Arch users are elite hackers that have no problem reinstalling their systems (while I'm here using the same Kubuntu installation that I've been using for years, in many computers, without any problems, without reinstalling anything), a la windows users, lol
    Arch users who reinstall on a regular basis are not doing it right. The whole point of using a rolling distro is to avoid reinstallations.

Comment

oh, right, I forgot, Arch users are elite hackers that have no problem reinstalling their systems
      What's this "reinstall" you speak of? That word is not in our vocabulary, because when we have a problem we simply use our l33t haXor skillz to fix it and then we go on our merry way.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
        I always suspected Arch was really more popular than it seems, given that the steam forums seem to have a VERY strong showing of Arch users and Gaming On Linux has many users tagged with the Arch logo as well. Never heard of
        the evo\lution installer until today... I never thought it was hard to install though, takes like 10 minutes. Seems nifty watching a youtube video about it right now
        Yeah I had noticed too many people mentionning Arch in the Steam forums. And today?s survey results on GamingOnLinux show 25% Arch Linux gamers!

For me installing Arch took the better part of two days + 2 months to configure things, 4 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          This is my first time hearing of /etc/os-release. Was there some valid reason to move away from /etc/lsb-release (massive security hole in a text file, original author was a murderer, etc.) or is this just another one of the all-too-common examples of some Linux dweeb just wanting to do things differently?
          And this is my first time hearing of /etc/lsb-release. I certainly don't have that in my openSUSE 13.1 install:
          Code:
          cat /etc/lsb-release
          cat: /etc/lsb-release: No such file or directory

Comment

I always suspected Arch was really more popular than it seems, given that the steam forums seem to have a VERY strong showing of Arch users and Gaming On Linux has many users tagged with the Arch logo as well.
            That's because Arch users are much more vocal than other Linux users....

Silly noob. When one of us hackers do something crazy that renders a system moot we chroot fix them... oddly I have only had to chroot in to fix a problem with cinnamon, even though it wasn't a problem but more of a rename of the launch command... that I didn't know about, until like a week later, so I didn't need to fix it but I thought I did
            Originally posted by ceage View Post
            Arch users who reinstall on a regular basis are not doing it right. The whole point of using a rolling distro is to avoid reinstallations.
            Originally posted by Gusar View Post
            What's this "reinstall" you speak of? That word is not in our vocabulary, because when we have a problem we simply use our l33t haXor skillz to fix it and then we go on our merry way.
            You guys are implying most of Arch users know what they are doing? You should try going to the forums or the #archlinux channel in freenode...
            Seriously, STOP recommending Arch, keep it elitist, hehe

Oh, and BTW, this is not a suprise (Arch overpassing Ubuntu in usage of a benchmarking tool), since, well, who wouldn't want to benchmark every single release of X, mesa, the kernel, ...? you feel like a 1337 h4x0r when doing it!

Comment

Wow, the amount of straw men you manage to put into so little text deserves a medal, asdfblah. The inferiority complex is strong within you...

(apologies for the trolling. but hey, he started it! *pouts*)

Comment

That's because Arch users are much more vocal than other Linux users....

You guys are implying most of Arch users know what they are doing? You should try going to the forums or the #archlinux channel in freenode...
                Seriously, STOP recommending Arch, keep it elitist, hehe

Oh, and BTW, this is not a suprise (Arch overpassing Ubuntu in usage of a benchmarking tool), since, well, who wouldn't want to benchmark every single release of X, mesa, the kernel, ...? you feel like a 1337 h4x0r when doing it!
                I'm thinking you missed the gaming survey where 25% of linux gamers use Arch. It's popularity is growing and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

Quit hanging onto Ubuntu's nuts. Most Ubuntu hits are from non unity Ubuntu desktops comprised of Mint/Lubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu....etc.
                Unity is a dead duck and it's only a matter of time before even the Ubuntu derivitives die off. Hell Nvidia flat out refuses to support Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                  Hell Nvidia flat out refuses to support Mir.
                  [citation needed]

Because this news item suggests Nvidia is working towards both Wayland and Mir: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTc5OTk. It's Intel that explicitly removed Mir support from their driver.
                  Last edited by Gusar; 04 October 2014, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                    [citation needed]

Because this news item suggests Nvidia is working towards both Wayland and Mir: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTc5OTk. It's Intel that explicitly removed Mir support from their driver.
                    You're probably right but nvidia or intel, the result is the same, don't you think?

As for the Arch hater posts I've seen here... wow, calm down. No one if forcing you to use it for Pete's sake.
                    Arch is really great, it has it's defaults (not having an installer is one of them IMO), but I'd rather have a tricky install for a few days and a good experience after, than the opposite (>_> Ubuntu).
                    Still... the best of both worlds would be awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
                      You're probably right but nvidia or intel, the result is the same, don't you think?
                      Yeah, it seems very much that Canonical will bear the burden of maintaining Mir support in various drivers, toolkits, apps, etc. themselves. A waste of resources IMO, I think Canonical would be far better off abandoning Mir and turning Unity 8 into a Wayland compositor.

Originally posted by Creak View Post
                      As for the Arch hater posts I've seen here... wow, calm down. No one if forcing you to use it for Pete's sake.
                      Arch is really great, it has it's defaults (not having an installer is one of them IMO), but I'd rather have a tricky install for a few days and a good experience after, than the opposite (>_> Ubuntu).
                      In some places Arch users are over-eager, so I get that there's some backlash. Such low-quality trolling as from asdfblah though...

Comment

Working...
                      X