Indian Developers Redesigning Linux Kernel With OOP, C++ Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
    So they make sure at compile time that no process can access the memory of any other. Including their so called kernel? That excludes usefull techniques like zero-copy and shared memory. I'm prety sure, at least for some workloads, having to copy things around would do more harm then saving a few syscalls.
    Yes, no process can deal with the memory of another, instead it uses type safety and code contracts to perform efficient IPC, and based on this research paper http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/?id=69431 they do seem to have figured out a way to do zero copy with the IPC because of the type safety and code contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
      Actually VMed languages are really interesting for microkernel based designs, because this allows you to rely on software memory protection instead of hardware and thus allows you to avoid the context switch between user-space and kernel-space, which means that a VMed language microkernel design could in principle actually run faster than one that is not written in a VMed language
      Interesting, though my thought here is that a microkernel should be small enough to embed on an ASIC. If the kernelspace is embedded in the hardware shouldn't these switches be avoided as well? Even if this is in far left field I'm thinking there's space in hardware design to address the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
        Why not Rust? The API isn't stable yet, but it will be soon.
        It seems fairly close in philosophy to D to me, seems like it could be suitable as far as I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
          actually it has, kmalloc
          it's still not that simple, the memory management
          another fun fact it that there are 3 types of pointers used in the linux kernel
          more on that in http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/

funny thing that OOP is not a well defined term at all
          Im well aware, my main point was that you can't take D/Haskell/etc compiler and simply generate 'user space like' code constructs in kernel.
          Also, kmalloc doesn't really work as drop in replacement for malloc.

While it would be possible to use _some_ C++ OOP features in kernel, many would not work (without serious changes to Linux codebase).

I think that FAQ on linux.org sums up all the reasons quite nicely (albeit it was written like a decade ago).

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
            forgot to say
            malloc() is a libc function anyway
            it uses mmap() and some times break() to get memory
            You probably meant brk, break is a keyword in C.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
              You probably meant brk, break is a keyword in C.
              y, didn't use it in a while
              just to mmap is better

Comment

Originally posted by asavah View Post
                One of stupidest things I ever read.
                Run kernel on Java or C#? WTF you were smoking?
                What about VMs those 2 languages need to run?
                One by Oracle and another one by MS.
                Should we embed jre + mono into kernel to run modules?
                Or should we run kernel modules with userspace runtimes?

[sarcasm] Excellent idea for the linux kernel. [/sarcasm]
                Internet has made it very clear.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                  Why not Rust? The API isn't stable yet, but it will be soon.
                  You precisely give the reason why NOT Rust. If the API isn't mostly set in stone for the first true iteration of the framework and language- it's not sound practice to use it in a Kernel except as a research project.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
                    I think that FAQ on linux.org sums up all the reasons quite nicely (albeit it was written like a decade ago).
                    Even if it's a decade ago, if you've not got the bits and bobs there to make it happen now, it's no different from then.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      Even if it's a decade ago, if you've not got the bits and bobs there to make it happen now, it's no different from then.
                      Sorry for posting something so off topic everyone, but I would like to contact Svartalf regarding a professional matter but his PM inbox on Phoronix is full. I am hoping that he will be notified by email of my reply to his post so that he can make some space free. I have a very viable porting opportunity I would like to discuss with him.

Comment

Working...
                      X