Steam Linux Usage Rose 0.1% During September

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The two things I noticed..

1: The rise in OS X/Linux correlates to the overall decrease in Windows users.
    2: SteamOS doesn't appear on the graph.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
      Where are the "other" operating systems? They used to be there during the previous surveys! I don't use Ubuntu, neither the ancient Linux 3.10!
      I hve the same doubt. Does this means than I have never been included in this survey?

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
        Thanks! Just curious, but so we know how Valve consider an account "active"? Is it that the user logged every week/month/year? Or just logged in during last week/month/year?
        I'd guess logging in at least once every 2 weeks, because that is the cutoff for receiving random booster packs of trading cards. If you don't it apparently invalidates those games you could receive packs for.

Comment

Meanwhile StatCounter says Linux increased by 0.01% (1.38 → 1.39), albeit it dropped 0.04% in Europe (1.84 → 1.8).
          Also interestingly enough, on July there was 100% Linux usage in Antarctica! Though I thought they would generally use quite a bit of Linux, being scientists and all...

Comment

51% is using Ubuntu 14.04 64bit + 7% 32bit and if you add some older versions not listed in top4 (mostly 12.04 users and some still using 13.10) you can safely assume that Ubuntu count for ~65-70% of all Linux home users.

Definitely the most popular Linux OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
              Thanks! Just curious, but so we know how Valve consider an account "active"? Is it that the user logged every week/month/year? Or just logged in during last week/month/year?
              An Active User is someone who has logged at least once in the last 90 days and owns at least 1 paid game. Smurf accounts created for Dota 2, for example, are not counted unless they own a paid game as well and are used at least once every 90 days.
              Last edited by Vidar; 02 October 2014, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                51% is using Ubuntu 14.04 64bit + 7% 32bit and if you add some older versions not listed in top4 (mostly 12.04 users and some still using 13.10) you can safely assume that Ubuntu count for ~65-70% of all Linux home users.

I haven't gone back and checked but I'm pretty sure this percentage used to be higher. Maybe people really are moving on since Ubuntu shifted a lot of its focus to mobile.

Comment

I really don't like this. Thus i have to correct: you can safely assume that Ubuntu count for ~65-70% of all Linux home users, who actually play steam games at all.

Comment

most popular linux(and overall) os is android
                    and you can assume nothing because ubuntu is the only(non-steamos) distro supported by steam
                    Last edited by pal666; 06 October 2014, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X