• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Creak View Post
    From http://store.steampowered.com/stats/
    User peak: 6,389,850

This means 74122 Linux users.
    user peak? those are users logged in at the same time. so this says nothing about the absolute number of people that use steam from time to time... not everybode is logged in 24/7....

Comment

I doubt that these 0.1% are significant. Valve is just picking a random sample (seemingly of the users that are online on the last day of the month) to take into the survey.
      Until anybody can prove using absolute numbers of the size of the random sample (and proper statistical methods) that the change is significant, I will account it to random fluctuations in the random sample and the users that are online at the right time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lysius View Post
        I doubt that these 0.1% are significant. Valve is just picking a random sample (seemingly of the users that are online on the last day of the month) to take into the survey.
        Until anybody can prove using absolute numbers of the size of the random sample (and proper statistical methods) that the change is significant, I will account it to random fluctuations in the random sample and the users that are online at the right time.
        You would have to do a census instead of a random sample. I do think that a error of 0.1% is totally reasonable for a random sample. In fact, 0.1% would be a great error rate. I wish my experiments had error levels that low!

Comment

Originally posted by xpander View Post
          and from the 100 mil active steam users its ~1 mil linux users

not bad at all
          There are 100 millions Steam users? Didn't know that (source? just to be sure).
          Well at least there are more chances that 1% of the currently logged in Steam users is more relevant than 1% of Steam accounts (how many of them are not used anymore? how many of them have been created before Steam was ported on Linux?)

Comment

Where are the "other" operating systems? They used to be there during the previous surveys! I don't use Ubuntu, neither the ancient Linux 3.10!

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
              Where are the "other" operating systems? They used to be there during the previous surveys! I don't use Ubuntu, neither the ancient Linux 3.10!
              "Other" are all the distros that fall under a certain percentage threshold. Steam Survey never listed every hobbyist distro.

Comment

At least from a playing perspective I find that TF2 is now playable, even on mediocre hardware. The platform has definitely improved from when I first tried using it.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  "Other" are all the distros that fall under a certain percentage threshold. Steam Survey never listed every hobbyist distro.
                  Yes I know, but they are not listed now! I said "where", not "what".

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
                    There are 100 millions Steam users? Didn't know that (source? just to be sure).
                    Well at least there are more chances that 1% of the currently logged in Steam users is more relevant than 1% of Steam accounts (how many of them are not used anymore? how many of them have been created before Steam was ported on Linux?)
                    Valve casually announced today that there are over 100 million active Steam accounts. That is a lot of active Steam accounts. That's approaching the population of Mexico.

Comment

Thanks! Just curious, but so we know how Valve consider an account "active"? Is it that the user logged every week/month/year? Or just logged in during last week/month/year?

Comment

Working...
                      X