Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The MSI X99S SLI PLUS Is Working & Running Well On Linux

Phoronix: The MSI X99S SLI PLUS Is Working & Running Well On Linux

Last month following the launch of Intel's Core i7 5960X Haswell-E platform I ran into a rather odd situation with the first system assembled using the X99 chipset and eight-core, $1000+ processor: the motherboard failed. Coincidentally it happened at the same time as another motherboard failure at a fellow review site. Fortunately, since then, there's been no other major reports of failures with Intel's new platform. MSI has been helpful in this matter and I've since received a new MSI X99S SLI PLUS to confirm there's no fundamental issues with their board.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not the same mobo, but similar.

Comment

So is this motherboard as hard to update the bios as stated in that article or is it better?

Comment

Originally posted by Ezzestus View Post
        So is this motherboard as hard to update the bios as stated in that article or is it better?
        Knowing Larbel he probably didn't check for an update tool in the UEFI...

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
          Knowing Larbel he probably didn't check for an update tool in the UEFI...
          There is an update ability in the UEFI... It's not to do with that, it's about the EXE packaging of BIOS files within ZIPs on their web-site -- http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTc3NzI -- but already working for a solution with them.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            There is an update ability in the UEFI... It's not to do with that, it's about the EXE packaging of BIOS files within ZIPs on their web-site -- http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTc3NzI -- but already working for a solution with them.
            Did you verify that the update tool built into the UEFI couldn't open said files?

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              Did you verify that the update tool built into the UEFI couldn't open said files?
              Yes, of course. It doesn't take EXEs, only the BIO files. MSI admits it but are working towards a solution overall though on the website now for the X99S SLI PLUS they should have already changed it to eliminate the EXE.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

OK, that would be cool. I'm interested in this board for the same reasons you mentioned originally (plus its black). Anyway I wouldn't want it if it was going to be a pain to update the bios.

Comment

MSI x99s SLI PLUS turns off

I Just assembled the parts for this machine:
                  MSI x99s SLI PLUS,
                  i7 5820k,
                  Corsair 2 x 8 GB 2133 DDR4
                  Corsair H80i Water Cooling
                  Rosehill 1000w 80 plus Gold PSU,
                  MSI GeForce 210 1GTB DDR3 (weak Graphics card, but shouldnt be a problem)

The Corsair h80i PSU came with a big power pin to go into the motherboard plus a 2 x 4 pin that plugs in near the CPU. I plugged the big PSU plug into the mother board but am having a problem with the 2 x 4 pin plug.

If I do NOT plug in the 2 x 4 pin plug and then power on, the cooling system runs and the DVD player even runs a bit. If I DO plug in the 2 x 4 pin then power on, the motherboard LED's just blink for a second and then it all shuts down.

What could be causing this?

Also, my CPU only fit in well upside down. Is this right for this board?

Comment

Working...
                  X