Mir 0.8 Works On Less ABI Breakage, Touchspots, Responsiveness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    Wayland App support is fine, Qt and GTK already have support for it as well as SDL which means that for most apps they'll already run, the problem is on the compositor end, as well as applications that use nonstandard toolkits like VCL (LibreOffice) and XUL(Firefox) which are then wrapping around desktop specific toolkits and in Linux's case GTK2
    Mir has the same support that Wayland has except for GTK3 which only supports wayland for now... But, QT, SDL is on the Mir pipe...

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
      look to the apps for ubuntu touch. wayland in fedora? not works well yet, we will stuck with x one more year
      I think that might be a little pessimistic. Having an easily-accessible Wayland desktop in F21 is a huge step forward, both in terms of getting people testing it, and as a statement of confidence by the developers. It will certainly be a bit flaky at first, but I'd expect it to stabilise over the following months... hopefully to the point of being an acceptable default for F22. So maybe another six months, rather than a year (or given Fedora release delays, split the difference and call it nine months?).

Comment

Originally posted by maslascher View Post
        Hope it will eventually like this:
        Canonical gaves up- nobody wants Mir and nobody wants write apps to this "display server/compositor" so Canonical gives the best what they developed with Mir to Wayland. That is actually the only reasonable way I see, Wayland app support is very poor but let's look on Mir-support none.
        From what I understand, Mir is more or less the compositor as well as the protocol. If it really doesn't gain traction, they only need to make it support the Wayland protocol and make it a Wayland compositor. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
          They should give up Mir too! Fedora has already Wayland, and in a year it will be official.
          One thing we do know - Linux graphics were so bad for so long, it's good to finally see some serious attention being paid to this area. Competition is normally good for the end user.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
            "More details can be found via the Mir Bazaar repository."

Hahaha. They need to just give up on Bazaar already.
            Why? It's a perfectly fine DVCS and I actually prefer i to git due to no history rewriting
            and a better default model for branching.
            However I usually use git anyway due to better integration in Jetbrains IDEs.

Comment

look to the apps for ubuntu touch.
              I saw a list recently of the most anticipated Touch apps in the Ubuntu subreddit, penned down by an Ubuntu contributor. Most of what they wrote were replacements for apps that are established and well integrated in their respective desktop environments. so not much new functionality.

Also, Touch focuses heavily on mobile, so I'm not too confident about the usefulness of these apps on the desktop. The upside of these apps is that they target Qt, so running on Wayland shouldn't be a problem (if Canonical has refrained from introducing low-level Ubuntu-isms in these apps).

Comment

look to the apps for ubuntu touch. wayland in fedora? not works well yet, we will stuck with x one more year
                If you count Ubuntu Touch for Mir, for sure you need to count Jolla ecosystem for Wayland which is already out since quite some time. And Tizen too is "almost ready" as Ubuntu Touch, both will ship in the coming months:
                Samsung's postponed Tizen Linux-based smartphone is now heading for a launch in India by the end of the year, reports India's Economic Times. Everybody, it seems, wants a piece of the Indian smartphone market. The latest company with plans to jump headlong into South Asia is Samsung, which aims to ship a Tizen Linux-based smartphone in India after the Diwali festival

Comment

Working...
                X