This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
    I think you missed what Windows 10 is about.

Right now, Windows 8.1 converges the tablet and desktop/laptop experience, but Windows 10 will also run on phones. (Forget about Windows RT: that was a compromise because x86 was not as good as ARM in terms of power and battery use. But x86 has caught up in all respects, meaning that upcoming devices would be able to full range of all of Windows software.) So, plug your Windows phone (x86, not ARM/RT) into a dock and get a full working experience. Plug it into a tablet shell and turn it into a tablet (BlackBerry phones can do this now).

Ubuntu does not have the *complete* stack running everywhere, because it's missing the UI. Unity will eventually run on all three environments (tablet/phone/desktop) but it's not there yet.

Actually, I personally would be happy with what I call "90% convergence", meaning that it would be possible to just use a different shell in different environments. So, when I use my Ubuntu phone as a phone, it would be Unity (or some alternative phone UI), and when I plug it into the dock it would switch to Xfce. Sure, it's nice to have seamless integration, but having different shells is totally acceptable for me, personally, as long as I have all my files and user accounts and background services and stuff. I currently own a netbook (Ubuntu), an Android tablet and an Android phone. I dream of replacing all three of these with a single Ubuntu phone with attachments to allow for tablet and laptop usage, which I often need.

Unfortunately, the Ubuntu phones coming out soon won't have even 90% convergence. They will be only phones.
    Ubuntu phones will have 100% convergence because they will receive the unity desktop update when it is ready. These ubuntu phones will be current for as long as their hardware is functional. No more artificial end of life.

Comment

[Phoronix] Linux Hardware Reviews, Open-Source Benchmarking & Linux Game Benchmarks
      This article is so stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada
        You have that wrong, the reason it's fallen behind is because of all of the anti ubuntu fucktards in the OSS community that forget that they don't have to use Ubuntu, but that the OSS community needs a strong dictator to provide a vision for a completed project instead of the death by a thousand failed forks we now have.
        This seems to heavily contradict itself. First you claim no one needs to use Ubuntu, but then you turn around and rail against the number of non-Ubuntu distro's (calling them a failure to boot). So what is it? Do we all need to follow the Glorious Leader? Or are we free to use what works for us? (Where us signifies people not on Ubuntu.)

IMO, the reason that Ubuntu has fallen behind is Canonical spreading itself thin with developing Unity and Mir. Unity is understandable, as they have a vision of one shell servicing a number of form factors. Mir is a lot less explicable. It certainly was not about the impossibilities in Wayland.

Only thing I can think of was a desire to be first to market with a modern display system with favorable licensing (CLA) to Canonical. If Mir had been first and widespread, Canonical could have setup a lucrative side business selling licensing exceptions. Alas, that backfired, because whiping up a sturdy and usable display system takes time and effort and Wayland was much further along.

Canonical could have helped with Wayland to get it up to speed earlier, and use that for Unity's underpinnings. They didn't. Now they have their own display system and Unity next that can finally service phones and tablets, but the desktop has been pretty stagnant on Unity 7 for a few release cycles.

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post
          This seems to heavily contradict itself. First you claim no one needs to use Ubuntu, but then you turn around and rail against the number of non-Ubuntu distro's (calling them a failure to boot). So what is it? Do we all need to follow the Glorious Leader? Or are we free to use what works for us? (Where us signifies people not on Ubuntu.)

IMO, the reason that Ubuntu has fallen behind is Canonical spreading itself thin with developing Unity and Mir. Unity is understandable, as they have a vision of one shell servicing a number of form factors. Mir is a lot less explicable. It certainly was not about the impossibilities in Wayland.

Only thing I can think of was a desire to be first to market with a modern display system with favorable licensing (CLA) to Canonical. If Mir had been first and widespread, Canonical could have setup a lucrative side business selling licensing exceptions. Alas, that backfired, because whiping up a sturdy and usable display system takes time and effort and Wayland was much further along.

Canonical could have helped with Wayland to get it up to speed earlier, and use that for Unity's underpinnings. They didn't. Now they have their own display system and Unity next that can finally service phones and tablets, but the desktop has been pretty stagnant on Unity 7 for a few release cycles.
          The point is the OSS community is overrun with idiots that do absolutely nothing but waste time with duplicated effort instead of backing a project that has legs and could allow Linux to further expand in influence and capability. Where we are now is where we should have been a decade ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada
            You have that wrong, the reason it's fallen behind is because of all of the anti ubuntu fucktards in the OSS community that forget that they don't have to use Ubuntu, but that the OSS community needs a strong dictator to provide a vision for a completed project instead of the death by a thousand failed forks we now have.
            Pretty ironic, in that Ubuntu is basically a fork of Debian....

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              The point is the OSS community is overrun with idiots that do absolutely nothing but waste time with duplicated effort instead of backing a project that has legs and could allow Linux to further expand in influence and capability. Where we are now is where we should have been a decade ago.
              In other words, you are free to do what you want as long as you follow the Glorius Leader.

Comment

Originally posted by cryptoahash View Post
                [Phoronix] Linux Hardware Reviews, Open-Source Benchmarking & Linux Game Benchmarks
                This article is so stupid.
                I suggest you read the article again.
                Hi

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
                  Pretty ironic, in that Ubuntu is basically a fork of Debian....
                  Debian with a vision for the future, unlike the direction-less yetanotherdistros that offer absolutely nothing of value over any other distro.

Comment

Originally posted by homerhomer View Post
                    Why not 11?
                    Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

Comment

Originally posted by bison View Post
                      Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
                      You can only get that when you jailbreak your Windows and then overclock it. So when you need your font rendering to go that extra bit faster, you've got 11.

Oh by the way, those icons are just there to look good, you never want to actually click on them.

Comment

Working...
                      X