This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    I've said this once and I'll say it again: Amiga was ahead of its time.
    Way way ahead of its time actually. I owned a C64, always envied the Amiga 500 guys.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
      Gnome Shell has classic session, default on Red Hat Entreprise Linux 7 and its variants like CentOS 7, displaying its flexibilty in term of interface.
      It is so cool to mumble about flexibility but these days simplistic XFCE haves more settings than Gnome by default. So I can get it to state I would actually like it look and feel. Not that I can do it with Gnome without messing with some crap like installing external programs and doing some black magic which reminds me about regedit and winblows powertoys from ancient ages.

It is erronus to assume Gnome Shell is for tablet while conveniently forgotting the same principle can apply on either XFCE, MATE and other DE by simply moving the panel on the top.
      By default they have HUGE window caption with single huge [X] button, if I remember it well. I can understand such window management inteface on tablet, where I would not use more than 1 window at once due to small screen and so I do not really need extra buttons to control window. And then, huge buttons would be logical so I can use fingers. However, it's not like if I'm happy to see something like this on desktop. Maybe Gnome devs should stop being retarded and then they can finally get idea desktop needs other defaults than tablets? I do not get why they think their defaults rock. Somehow there are no Gnome based tablets around and I do not think that simplistic inteface with few huge buttons is something I would appreciate on desktop. Gnome guys are EPIC FAILORS: they just wrecked desktop inteface and failed to produce tablets. Kinda similar to MS mistakes and equally stubborn at addmitting their failures. Finally MS admits Metro is FAIL. Maybe it is time for gnome devs to admit some failures as well and get idea tablets buzz is overrated when it comes to PCs and their DEs?
      Last edited by System25; 30 September 2014, 08:16 PM.

Comment

So..

Why not 11?

Comment

easy multi-tasking, multi desktop, 'start menu' with a style and that actually searches the web, you and your underwear.

So i guess windows is now an official ubuntu derivative.

Comment

Originally posted by System25 View Post
            It is so cool to mumble about flexibility but these days simplistic XFCE haves more settings than Gnome by default. So I can get it to state I would actually like it look and feel. Not that I can do it with Gnome without messing with some crap like installing external programs and doing some black magic which reminds me about regedit and winblows powertoys from ancient ages.
            You mean dconf and gnome-tweak-tools? Gnome Shell was made to be uncluttered as possible and customization done via extension.

By default they have HUGE window caption with single huge [X] button, if I remember it well.
            Still do because minimize and maximize buttons are useless with a simple drag to edge or the use of shortcut key to produce similar functions.

I can understand such window management inteface on tablet, where I would not use more than 1 window at once due to small screen and so I do not really need extra buttons to control window. And then, huge buttons would be logical so I can use fingers.
            That interface still works as regular desktop on big screen. Gnome Shell primarily take advantage of keyboard and still retains familiar shortcuts. The recent inclusion of HiDPI windows scale greatly improve bigger screen experience.

However, it's not like if I'm happy to see something like this on desktop. Maybe Gnome devs should stop being retarded and then they can finally get idea desktop needs other defaults than tablets? I do not get why they think their defaults rock. Somehow there are no Gnome based tablets around and I do not think that simplistic inteface with few huge buttons is something I would appreciate on desktop.
            Have you tried Gnome Classic session? It sounds like you haven't tried Gnome 3.10 at least.

Gnome guys are EPIC FAILORS: they just wrecked desktop inteface and failed to produce tablets. Kinda similar to MS mistakes and equally stubborn at addmitting their failures. Finally MS admits Metro is FAIL. Maybe it is time for gnome devs to admit some failures as well and get idea tablets buzz is overrated when it comes to PCs and their DEs?
            Gnome Shell is not Metro. The latter lacks dynamic workspace, overview mode. I suggest to revision Gnome Shell starting from 3.10 and use as intended, without assumption.

Comment

mOS X!

Why on earth would anyone want a mini-Metro in teir start bar!? And what a waste of resources. On the low-end machines, anyway.
              Hi

Comment

Windows 10? Is the guy who developed Windows' progress bars now in the marketing division?

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
                  sorry but your wrong, i know by first hand that your are :P
                  same was for win8 to win8.1, you go to a website and you enter a serial provided by the oem (usualy under the base or the side of desktop) and they give you the upgrade.
                  Rumor floating around that he's actually right. Not sure how accurate, still very ambiguous at this point. But the quote from the Indonesian CEO of Microsoft which started the "free" rumors seems equally ambiguous.

Of course, as we reported last week, Windows 9 will be a free upgrade for Windows 8 users but there?s a twist in the story. The Windows 9 upgrade might not be as free as initially believed, yes you hear it right. Myce has discovered that all Windows 8 users aren?t eligible for the free update, there are certain conditions and you?ll know them as you read further.

As the leak says, users who have purchased a copy of Windows 8 (or Windows 8.1) will get the upgrade absolutely free. But users who have purchased a computer with Windows 8 pre-installed (OEM version of the software) will have to pay.
                  http://www.styzic.com/windows-9-free-upgrade-pay/966/

Comment

Originally posted by NothingMuchHereToSay View Post
                    There's one problem with Windows on tablets though.. They ditched the Modern UI for the Modern Start menu. So.. Microsoft's doing a complete 180 on its tablet interface. And how exactly DOES the x86 tablet function under Windows? Does it have heating problems? Do people expect to run super high end photoshop or Office products on those things? From what I know, MS already failed on the ARM tablet, while it's only a matter of time before Intel actually gets their shit together with their godawful Atom processors that run barely equivalent to ARM chips, I'm not holding my breath because Intel just cannot go beyond laptops and some tablets at all.

As far as I know, x86 phones are nonexistent because of how small the phone's form factor is. Microsoft WILL still fail in the "convergent phone" business, all because of x86. Microsoft has legacy programs that people have expectations to run as soon as they see the words "Microsoft" and "Windows" on a phone. They will assume their expectation that "Oh, I can do anything I want with Windows on a phone!" or something like that, which in the case of an Atom x86 processor on a phone, it will either overheat or fail to meet the expectations and run like a Pentium 3 with a fully updated (bloated) Windows XP.

Similar problems with the ARM Surface RT also occurred and bombed big time because of the major drastic change that Microsoft didn't know how to handle because they're already gigantic enough around the entire frickin' world. They didn't set people's expectations, and honestly, how would you think the marketing would've gone? "The Surface RT! Now coming only with Microsoft Office and Internet Explorer, because that's all you need!" or "Surface RT, because less is more" (in the form of 32GB of storage space that left you with only 8GB usable. I mean, goddamn, Microsoft, just die already, sheesh.

Ubuntu, has the advantage of being FOSS, ported over to ARM and other architectures, AND the best part is that people have NO expectations because they've never heard of "Ubuntu" or "Canonical". This also corelates to why Canonical only chose two hardware partners obscure from the USA and the mainstream audience in general. The risk takers and enthusiasts will try Ubuntu out, see what it's like, and honestly I have high hopes for Ubuntu.
                    As someone already responded, you do get a 'full screen' start screen if your on a touch device, and you can pin more things to the 'new' :P start menu making it larger and IMO more useful than Win 7's for non touch devices. Certainly sad that such a large company wasn't able to roll something like this out within a few months of 8's release... Startock was able to lol.

Secondly, while GPU performance isn't quite up to ARM levels, Intel's Atoms have been rather competitive vs ARM in both performance and performance/watt, and for high end tablets the new Haswell-M? CPU's are looking to be quite powerful (but sadly still expensive).

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
                      Way way ahead of its time actually. I owned a C64, always envied the Amiga 500 guys.
                      As I sit here in front of my Amiga A4000D with The potential of 400mb+ of fast ram (16 on motherboard, 128mb on accelerator, 128mb on Zorro 3 card and potentially 240mb via the Radeon video card, which I haven't bothered really adding in), 50Mhz 68060, USB 2.0 and Compact Flash card.

It does seem that certain functions of the OS seem snappier and faster than Windows or Gnome-Shell. I only really get a lot of the speed on my normal workstation due to the SSD I have in it now.

So that's 30 years after Amiga has it, Windows is finally adding it.... that's pretty epic failure.

Comment

Working...
                      X