Borderlands 2 Launches On Steam For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
    Just tried it on R600 on a 6870. Seems to be working fine. Performance is a little iffy, but certainly playable. I'm getting a fair bit of micro-stutter. Well I think it's micro-stutter, it's not something I've come across before, I normally game on Windows with a fairly high-end card, so I normally can play 1080p/60fps without much trouble. But I'm noticing some stutter in places (not in full on combat though thankfully, mainly in the exposition bits).

All in all, I'm impressed. Everything seemed to default to the lowest setting, so definitely go into settings before you launch a game, or you'll be playing at a fairly low resolution.

For reference, this is on a fully updated Arch install, with all the crappy old libraries that Steam ships with deleted so I don't get that 'no GLX rendering' error. CPU is i5 750, and it's with 8gb RAM game running from an SSD (though that didn't stop a bit of texture pop-in which plagues many Unreal 3 titles).

I might try sticking a 7970 in to see if brute force can improve performance. The 6870 is always the most mature card on the OSS drivers which is why I've stuck with it, but the 7970 (which I've got lying around) is a much better card, now might be the time to try it out.
    Ok, so I just tried it out on a 7970, on the exact same configuration I'm getting ~40fps (still with but noticeably reduced stutter). That's against ~25-30 on the 6870. R600 may be more mature, but it looks like the brute force of a much better card has bumped performance considerably. I'm impressed.

Comment

Doesn't work on RadeonSI + HD7850

Originally posted by user82 View Post
      Mine had a bug that massively influenced visual quality.
      Thanks to someone on steam I found out that in the file
      Code:
      ~/.local/share/aspyr-media/borderlands 2/willowgame/config/willowengine.ini
      the option
      Code:
      DynamicLights
      Was set to
      Code:
      False
      Changing it to
      Code:
      True
      worked with Catalyst 14.9 without performance drop and finally made the game look like on Windows.
      Unfortunately, with this option activated, I get full system freeze directly when the main menu appears. Could be related to this one:

However, I also can't investigate because the system is completely dead after this. Running HD7850 on ArchLinux x86_64, Kernel 3.16.3, mesa 10.3, LLVM 3.5.

Comment

geforce 560 ti

By default i have ~ 50 fps in start menu.

With this launch options in steam: LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 %command% I have around 70 fps in start menu and around 40 fps in game. If i additionaly disable dynamic shadows and lights i have 90fps but game colors look ugly.

Comment

I forgot mention that i use ubuntu 14.04 and this script to start steam:
          if [ $# -ge 1 ]; then
          game="$(which $1)"
          openbox="$(which openbox)"
          tmpgame="/tmp/tmpgame.sh"
          export DISPLAY=:1.0
          export ALSA_DEFAULT_PCM="duplex"
          echo -e "${openbox} &\ncompton &\n${game}" > ${tmpgame}
          echo "starting ${game}"
          xinit ${tmpgame} -- :1 || exit 1
          else
          echo "not a valid argument"
          fi

don't forget to install compton

Comment

Originally posted by lokinv560ti View Post
            By default i have ~ 50 fps in start menu.

With this launch options in steam: LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 %command% I have around 70 fps in start menu and around 40 fps in game. If i additionaly disable dynamic shadows and lights i have 90fps but game colors look ugly.
            That's interesting, what does that do? Multithreading?

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
              Mine had a bug that massively influenced visual quality.
              Thanks to someone on steam I found out that in the file
              Code:
              ~/.local/share/aspyr-media/borderlands 2/willowgame/config/willowengine.ini
              the option
              Code:
              DynamicLights
              Was set to
              Code:
              False
              Changing it to
              Code:
              True
              worked with Catalyst 14.9 without performance drop and finally made the game look like on Windows.
              Did this trick too, Have mine running @1440p on high/far detail. Working rather well tbh. FPS jumps around 60 to silly numbers if I don't have it capped.
              No idea what it performs like in windows!
              Not noticed ant stutters.
              Any particular areas this happens?

If you want to see your FPS you will need to enable the console key in the ini.

Code:
              .local/share/aspyr-media/borderlands 2/willowgame/config/willowinput.ini
              Line 123, change
              Code:
              ConsoleKey=Undefined
              Too

Code:
              ConsoleKey=Tidle
              Bring console up in game then type

Code:
              stat fps

Comment

It still stutters a lot for me.

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post

Code:
                  ConsoleKey=Undefined
                  Too

Code:
                  ConsoleKey=Tidle
                  Bring console up in game then type

Code:
                  stat fps
                  tilde or tidle? Interesting if it's tidle =D
                  Hi

Comment

Code:
                    ConsoleKey=Tilde
                    My bad, was late when I posted that up

Would love an edit button about now.....

Comment

Working...
                    X