Borderlands 2 Launches On Steam For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I goofed. I bought it on my Windows machine when I heard it was on Linux.
    If you play it a little bit on linux this week (and not on Windows), Valve will transfer that money over to Aspyr.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      If you play it a little bit on linux this week (and not on Windows), Valve will transfer that money over to Aspyr.
      I guess that means I should finally win the game on Linux this week

Comment

I should probably mention, Aspyr are actually monitoring the Steam forums for BL2 (for now), unlike a lot of other company's who simply ignore them.
        Hi

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          Source?
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Source?
            Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            BTW just so anyone knows - if you want the Aspyr team to get credit for their work, buy the game or DLC through linux. If you buy it through Windows, they don't get the money. One of the developers said this somewhere buried in the steam forums.
            This is about Civ5 but it should apply here as well.

Aspyr Media is pleased to announce our first Linux and SteamOS title, Sid Meier’s Civilization V. The SteamOS release includes all Civilization V DLC and expansion content, including Gods & Kings and Brave New World. This release targets SteamOS on current gen hardware. Additionally, we're working towards supporting Ubuntu 14.04 as well as additional video cards in future updates. Here’s where we need your help! To improve Civ V and future AAA games on SteamOS, we're looking for feedback.

Originally posted by Aspyr@Steam forums
            - If you want to ensure you are supporting Aspyr for the Linux version of Civ V, buy it AND PLAY IT on your Linux Steam client.
            - Purchases made on another platform (Windows for example) will default payment to that platform BUT if you play it on Linux for the first few weeks, the system will recognize that you are actually a Linux user and shift a portion or all of the payment to the Linux developer.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
              Just chucked a thread up on Steam asking about the linux pricing method. Might be an incentive for company's releasing to linuxers to make a note of how to get paid for their efforts.

And as above regarding this special PPA. What's so special about it, ya cock-tease.
              That's a really good point. I often buy games (humble bundles and steam sales) while I'm at work (on a Macbook Pro), and then install/play at home on Arch Linux. I want to make sure the Linux porters get my money!

Comment

So... I wasn't able to test it this morning, but do you just move your old save games in to ~/my\ games/borderlands\ 2/savedata/ ? Well and make sure they're all lower case?

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
                  So... I wasn't able to test it this morning, but do you just move your old save games in to ~/my\ games/borderlands\ 2/savedata/ ? Well and make sure they're all lower case?
                  From what I heard, yes, this is an option. I also heard they intentionally prevented characters from syncing between platforms, in case bugs or updates corrupt your character.

I'm going to see if I can get 5.1 surround out of HDMI. I also have issues where buttons 4 and 5 on my mouse don't register, but I can probably find a workaround for that. So far, the game actually performs better on the FOSS radeon drivers than it does in catalyst on windows. Pretty impressive.
                  Last edited by schmidtbag; 01 October 2014, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
                    Sadly on AMD the colors and lighting look just wrong.
                    Linux: Screenshot
                    Windows: Screenshot
                    It's much worse in outside areas.
                    Did I configure something wrong?
                    This happens to me as well and it is extremely annoying. I've tested on Windows and OS X as well, neither has this problem. Outside areas are especially worse. I have an HD5850M (iMac) with latest r600g in Arch.

Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by dcc24 View Post
                      This happens to me as well and it is extremely annoying. I've tested on Windows and OS X as well, neither has this problem. Outside areas are especially worse. I have an HD5850M (iMac) with latest r600g in Arch.

Any ideas?
                      Open the file ~/.local/share/aspyr-media/borderlands 2/willowgame/config/willowengine.ini Under [SystemSettings], look for the following line: DynamicLights=False
                      Change ?False? to ?True"

Comment

Working...
                      X