NVIDIA To Issue An Update On Their Support Of Mir & Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
    What planet do you live on? Of course, haven't you heard of the Church of latter day Tux?
    He's the emperor of Luna, bow down your head!

Posted from the Kuiper belt.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
      So does Nvidia now will have to maintain 3 differents drivers for linux? I wonder if that extra-work its very difficult for nvidia devs.
      Not three drivers, just code that interfaces with two new display drivers. As all Wayland requires is support for their EGL platform exposed via the extension mechanism (and assuming Mir does the same), they could even install one EGL library that works for all three display servers.

Comment

How are the ads on Phoronix these days for a US user? I remember them being pretty awful and intrusive, but that was several years ago. I try to whitelist sites I like, but I don't like intrusive ads.

Comment

I wonder will NVIDIA and AMD have to track Xwayland ABI and Gnome compositor and KWin_Wayland compositor to make sure their drivers always work? It would be great if in the future they only have to make sure it works with the latest kernel and that's.

Comment

If Nvidia does not like mantaining 3 drivers

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
            So does Nvidia now will have to maintain 3 differents drivers for linux? I wonder if that extra-work its very difficult for nvidia devs.
            If Nvidia does not like mantaining 3 drivers, they can do like AMD doing and review their code to exclude DRM bits, then start releasing enough source to let Nouveau catch up and take over. Since Nouveau didn't start with cooperation from Nvidia, they would probably have to first release enough source all at once to make an entirely new FOSS driver simply for compatability reasons. I suspect that's why the reclocking code dump has taken so long to be made useful-far more driver differences than with AMD.

In short, Nvidia could "dump and bail," figuring that the bext (or only) Linux driver for their cards in 2017 or so need only be as good as AMD's best driver, which by that time will probably be the Radeon driver.

Comment

Working...
            X