NVIDIA To Issue An Update On Their Support Of Mir & Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Window mangers and DEs still need to catch up. KDE on Wayland is still WIP. But hopefully that will happen soon.
    I'm afraid the biggest problem is about applications.
    Firefox is still struggling to move away from gtk2, which is a prerequisite for wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
      I urge all frequent readers and visitors to subscribe and make a dent in Michael's expenses as well as increase his profit margins.
      I don't use Adblock at all. I have a solution for Adverts that annoy me: I click on them. Each click costs the advertiser a few cents. Other than that I ignore them (well I assume I do, who knows what effect it has on my subconscious).

I have noticed in this site, that I have adverts that track me. AdRoll over or something. They explicitly say that they ignore my DoNotTrack settings. It's not too much of a problem, coz you can kill the cookies, but still:

Michael - could you stop using these guys?

Cheers!

P.S. Could someone write an extension to AdBlock that auto-clicks all the adverts (not showing the result of course)? That would amuse me!

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post

P.S. Could someone write an extension to AdBlock that auto-clicks all the adverts (not showing the result of course)? That would amuse me!
        It could be done, but they'd detect that too. You'd have to make it appear is if the clicks are done at a 'human frequency'...whatever that is, I've no data to even begin guessing, since I hardly ever click on any ads - they're mostly in my peripheral vision...

Please consider subscribing.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
          I'm afraid the biggest problem is about applications.
          Firefox is still struggling to move away from gtk2, which is a prerequisite for wayland.
          Firefox is moving to gtk3 gradually, but I'm not sure about any ETA: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=627699
          One major issue there is replacing Flash with Shumway.

Comment

I don't use Adblock at all. I have a solution for Adverts that annoy me: I click on them. Each click costs the advertiser a few cents. Other than that I ignore them (well I assume I do, who knows what effect it has on my subconscious).

I have noticed in this site, that I have adverts that track me. AdRoll over or something. They explicitly say that they ignore my DoNotTrack settings. It's not too much of a problem, coz you can kill the cookies, but still:

Michael - could you stop using these guys?

Cheers!

Google would come down on such a thing like the hammer of god since it would qualify as automating clickfraud. (Did you know that it's against the terms of service for cost-per-click ads for someone like Michael to encourage people to click ads they have no interest in?)

I gave it a chance, but the ads are just too distracting, my Firefox is already heavy enough, and I don't like to be tracked.

However, I generally agree with this blog post --> Why ad blocking is not a moral dilemma <-- and, if it weren't for the extra CPU load and risk of tracking, I'd definitely have chosen Michael over the advertisers and put together an ad-blocking solution that used CSS to hide non-Flash ads without interfering with their loading. (eg. Something like position: absolute and left: -9999)

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
              Please consider subscribing.
              What do I get/pay for subscribing? I have already signed up for comments, so Phoronix has my Email.

I already religiously click on the adverts for Mums in my area that have cured tooth discoloration, and someone who has made doctors furious by peeling cellophane off a photoshopped image of a 80 year and 25 year old woman...

Comment

What do I get/pay for subscribing? I have already signed up for comments, so Phoronix has my Email.

I already religiously click on the adverts for Mums in my area that have cured tooth discoloration, and someone who has made doctors furious by peeling cellophane off a photoshopped image of a 80 year and 25 year old woman...
                You get to religiously focus on becoming a wise crackin contributor/commentator instead . And ensuring Phoronix's/Michael's existence.

Comment

Originally posted by ferry View Post
                  Yeah. I want to make a transfer, but I don't use bitcoins, paypal and all that. I mentioned earlier, why not add iDeal to the list of payment options, or put your (IBAN) bank account number, but got no reply.

You're missing out on subscriptions from those who definitely don't want adds.
                  Same here. I made a PayPal account just to subscribe to Phoronix premium.

Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
                  I'm going to provide you with an overused metaphor. Is you walking out of walmart without paying for someone a flaw in their business model? No, no it's not. I understand why people use adblock for malicious ads, but don't use it just because you don't want to see them. That IS stealing, and while it's not illegal it means that you'll be part of the reason Phoronix shuts down, if there is no ad revenue.
                  But there's a flaw in your logic. Let me explain: If you steal something from Wal-Mart then they'll lose the item that you took. If you browse a website without paying for it (or listen to music without paying for it, or whatever) then they won't lose anything, they won't even know that you exist.

However, if you keep doing that (browsing phoronix without ads or listening to pirated music) AND you tell your friends about it, there is a good chance that one (or more) of them ends up paying for the thing (or starts visiting the site without an ad-blocker). Not everyone has to pay for a service for it to be profitable. Some people don't have any money to spare, others are not interested and would have not paid for it anyway. But allowing these people to still keep using the service likely does more good than bad (if it is not too expensive to keep serving these 'non-paying customers').

That said, I obviously do encourage people to support Phoronix and at least buy the premium subscription, if you're visiting this website frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                    (Did you know that it's against the terms of service for cost-per-click ads for someone like Michael to encourage people to click ads they have no interest in?)
                    FWIW - I have no financial interest in this site, and if they don't want me to click on their ads they don't have to show them to me. Some people spot trains, I click on banner ads. Well, someone has to...

On the other end of the equation, I looked at advertising rates. Apple have a nice calculator for apps in the AppStore.

$1000 dollars would buys me:
                    - approx 16 *million* banner ads
                    - 12000 clicks
                    - 20 downloads

That's how many people accidentally click on ads.

Comment

I still don't understand why people restrain from paying. It is just ~$30 per year, and is much joy to hang out with people like me. Even developers from AMD, Intel answering questions and stuff. But I agree that Michael should publish IBAN.

Comment

Working...
                      X