No announcement yet.

NVIDIA To Issue An Update On Their Support Of Mir & Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI, as said before, Phoronix ads are paid by impression and NOT by click.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
      But there's a flaw in your logic. Let me explain: If you steal something from Wal-Mart then they'll lose the item that you took. If you browse a website without paying for it (or listen to music without paying for it, or whatever) then they won't lose anything, they won't even know that you exist.

However, if you keep doing that (browsing phoronix without ads or listening to pirated music) AND you tell your friends about it, there is a good chance that one (or more) of them ends up paying for the thing (or starts visiting the site without an ad-blocker). Not everyone has to pay for a service for it to be profitable. Some people don't have any money to spare, others are not interested and would have not paid for it anyway. But allowing these people to still keep using the service likely does more good than bad (if it is not too expensive to keep serving these 'non-paying customers').

That said, I obviously do encourage people to support Phoronix and at least buy the premium subscription, if you're visiting this website frequently.
      Well, there's also another thing you have to consider. if an individual is using adblock and posting inside the forums they're still essentially paying Michael by inducing those who aren't using adblock to view more ads, either by causing them to refresh or making them read through more pages of the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
        But there's a flaw in your logic. Let me explain: If you steal something from Wal-Mart then they'll lose the item that you took. If you browse a website without paying for it (or listen to music without paying for it, or whatever) then they won't lose anything, they won't even know that you exist.
        quite the contrary - bandwidth, server disk space and maintenance services do not come for free
        Since the hosting provider charges a certain amount of $$ every week or month (usually), in exchange for a certain connection speed, a certain daily/weekly/monthly traffic, a certain amount of disk space and a certain uptime, there is actually a cost for every time the webpage is served to a remote client
        so browsing the site while blocking ads one consumes (without providing the compensation ads are supposed to cover) a share of the allotted bandwidth (which, bandwidth being a finite resource, cannot be reused for someone who would pay)

so that "they wont lose anything" is simply not true
        and "they" can and WILL know you exist, since the web server (apache or whatever) perfectly know what IP address a request comes from - or do you think a HTTP request is not routinely logged?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Firefox is moving to gtk3 gradually, but I'm not sure about any ETA: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=627699
          One major issue there is replacing Flash with Shumway.
          Yeah I'm tracking it. Apparently Firefox-gtk3 won't happen sooner than Firefox 36, which means we ain't able to get firefox-wayland in this year.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
            I don't use Adblock at all. I have a solution for Adverts that annoy me: I click on them. Each click costs the advertiser a few cents. Other than that I ignore them (well I assume I do, who knows what effect it has on my subconscious).

I have noticed in this site, that I have adverts that track me. AdRoll over or something. They explicitly say that they ignore my DoNotTrack settings. It's not too much of a problem, coz you can kill the cookies, but still:

Michael - could you stop using these guys?

Cheers!

P.S. Could someone write an extension to AdBlock that auto-clicks all the adverts (not showing the result of course)? That would amuse me!
            This has been my problem. I don't use adblock, I use DoNotTrackMe. It blocks all the ads on Phoronix because all the ads on phoronix try to track all my internet usage. Plenty of sites have ads which don't and they load no problem in my browser. I've nothing against making money with ads, but tracking me across the internet shouldn't be a part of that deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
              Once Wayland supports not applying compositing to full screen games and NVIDIA publishes a Wayland driver, I have no reason to use X.org anymore. It will be finally nice to not have to use technology made 20 years ago for a graphics card made yesterday.
              1st is already true (well, I've seen it >1yr ago in weston).. 2nd is out of the FOSS graphics stack developer's hands but it's good to see nv thinking about this

Comment

Originally posted by silix View Post
                quite the contrary - bandwidth, server disk space and maintenance services do not come for free
                Since the hosting provider charges a certain amount of $$ every week or month (usually), in exchange for a certain connection speed, a certain daily/weekly/monthly traffic, a certain amount of disk space and a certain uptime, there is actually a cost for every time the webpage is served to a remote client
                so browsing the site while blocking ads one consumes (without providing the compensation ads are supposed to cover) a share of the allotted bandwidth (which, bandwidth being a finite resource, cannot be reused for someone who would pay)

so that "they wont lose anything" is simply not true
                and "they" can and WILL know you exist, since the web server (apache or whatever) perfectly know what IP address a request comes from - or do you think a HTTP request is not routinely logged?
                Here's the thing - it's really simple for Michael to detect and block anyone using Adblock.

So essentially, he's implicitly acknowledging that he gets more of a benefit from not blocking those people than he would gain. The higher view rates mean he's more likely to be recognized by the industry, such as AMD, NVidia, and Valve, and he also gets others to reload the page/ads every time i post a comment here. It also makes it much more likely to bring in new readers, who may themselves add value to Michael's pockets. If i post a link to an article here on another site, that will draw even more additional people. So it's not like he's getting nothing - on the contrary, he's making quite a bit off me. He'd just like to make more.

That's why i don't feel bad about keeping adblock on. Well, that and the really obnoxious way Michael goes about it. Honey draws more flies than vinegar, and all that.
                Last edited by smitty3268; 29 September 2014, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Sorry, adblocked surfing can never be stealing

Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
                  His constant snipes at adblock are perfectly justified. He provides you with a service, and his payment is ads. In a lot of sites, ads tend to be malicious in nature which is why I whitelist Phoronix and keep it on a lot of places. If you think that soliciting donations or relying on subscriptions (if ads were gone, what would be the point of a subscription?) is a successful business model, you're mistaken. He does this for a living, and if everyone installs adblock Phoronix will go away.

I'm going to provide you with an overused metaphor. Is you walking out of walmart without paying for someone a flaw in their business model? No, no it's not. I understand why people use adblock for malicious ads, but don't use it just because you don't want to see them. That IS stealing, and while it's not illegal it means that you'll be part of the reason Phoronix shuts down, if there is no ad revenue.
                  To not be laughed out of any courtroom with a "theft" claim, your hypothetical accuser of theft would have to show that he blocked access to his site when ads were blocked or not subscribed (as in a "403 forbidden" error), and that the defendant resorted to server side (NOT client side) code to bypass it. When content is put on a webserver, that is considered an invitation to download that content which is offered and display it in part or in whole, any way you want on the client end. If you run code of your own on the server to force delivery, that's another matter.

Of course, sites that block even text-level access to nonsubscribers lose most of their readers. There was a UK based newspaper that set up a paywall for everything but the first paragraph of linked stories and lost something like 99% of their readers. If a site blocks all use (not just something like say, bandwidth-intensive video) to adblockers, they will also lose a large proportion of the adblocking readers-and some of the non-adblocking readers as well. ArsTechnica tried some kind of experiment with that and dropped it like a hot rock. Let's not forget: a site with 10,000 paid subscribers, 1,000,000 ad enabled viewers, and 10,000,000 adblocking viewers is likely to be Google ranked 10 times higher than it would be with 1,000,000 viewers posting links, and 1,000 times higher than it would be with just the subscribers.

Comment

So does Nvidia now will have to maintain 3 differents drivers for linux? I wonder if that extra-work its very difficult for nvidia devs.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
                      His constant snipes at adblock are perfectly justified. He provides you with a service, and his payment is ads. In a lot of sites, ads tend to be malicious in nature which is why I whitelist Phoronix and keep it on a lot of places. If you think that soliciting donations or relying on subscriptions (if ads were gone, what would be the point of a subscription?) is a successful business model, you're mistaken. He does this for a living, and if everyone installs adblock Phoronix will go away.

I'm going to provide you with an overused metaphor. Is you walking out of walmart without paying for someone a flaw in their business model? No, no it's not. I understand why people use adblock for malicious ads, but don't use it just because you don't want to see them. That IS stealing, and while it's not illegal it means that you'll be part of the reason Phoronix shuts down, if there is no ad revenue.
                      I use AdBlock on Phoronix specifically because of the ads.

For me, they're these obnoxious "lose 10kg in 2 weeks" that bounce around and have no relevance to me. Some of them play video (with audio), and all of them are scams. In other words, ads on Phoronix, at least out of Denmark, are malicious. I have no idea if you'd get the occasional virus if viewing the site from Windows without AdBlock, but I'd imagine you would.

I actually had the site whitelisted for a while, but that had to end.

And no, what adblockers are doing is not the equivalent of walking into Walmart and not paying at the counter. There is no physical loss of goods taking place.
                      Don't get me wrong, I don't like doing it, but the ads on this place are just hilarious.

Comment

Working...
                      X