Step by Step install of Latest Nvidia Driver Article Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step by Step install of Latest Nvidia Driver Article Request

M. would you write a step-by-step article of the details for installing the latest Nvidia proprietary driver in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS? I went out and bought a GTX 750 based on your review of that card and found that the driver in the Ubuntu repository does not support it. The Nvidia site to download the latest driver cautions that some distributions have their own versions of the driver and suggest using the distribution supplied driver. I downloaded the latest driver anyway but am not sure how to safely proceed. Thanks.

Installing a GTX 780 Ti allowed me to get the Nvidia binary into the system. I then removerd the GTX 780 Ti and installed the GTX 750.

Previously the system would only give a black screen when the GTX 750 was installed before the Nvidia binary was installed.

Comment

I think helping and thus encouraging installation of proprietary blobs should be prohibited. Therefore, I disagree with any article providing step by step instructions on how to install any NVidia or AMD Catalyst drivers as well as Windows or any non-GPL/non-AGPL software. If you want a step by step article on how to do unethical things, I suggest you find some corporate controlled forum and beg them there in exchange for your basic human rights because here we (well at least most of us) encourage Free Software.
      Last edited by endman; 31 October 2014, 10:12 PM.

Comment

On pretty much any Ubuntu release assuming you have basic build dependencies in place it should just be a matter of running the installer after shutting down lightdm service and then rebooting.... Or on Ubuntu 14.10, the GTX 750 should be supported by the latest packaged nvidia drivers in the Utopic archive to make things even easier.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by artsci2 View Post
          M. would you write a step-by-step article of the details for installing the latest Nvidia proprietary driver in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS? I went out and bought a GTX 750 based on your review of that card and found that the driver in the Ubuntu repository does not support it. The Nvidia site to download the latest driver cautions that some distributions have their own versions of the driver and suggest using the distribution supplied driver. I downloaded the latest driver anyway but am not sure how to safely proceed. Thanks.
          You need to upgrade to 14.04 or the latest Ubuntu release. 12.04 IS NOT what you want to run with the latest Nvidia cards because the repository for that distro is way out of date.

Comment

Originally posted by endman View Post
            I think helping and thus encouraging installation of proprietary blobs should be prohibited. Therefore, I disagree with any article providing step by step instructions on how to install any NVidia or AMD Catalyst drivers as well as Windows or any non-GPL/non-AGPL software. If you want a step by step article on how to do unethical things, I suggest you find some corporate controlled forum and beg them there in exchange for your basic human rights because here we (well at least most of us) encourage Free Software.
            Don't let that hypocritic pompous ass hurt too hard falling off that pedestal you have put yourself on while preaching the joys of censorship for a "free" society.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. All of you.

I am trying to get an OpenFOAM workstation built to do computational fluid dynamics. The trouble is that OpenFOAM is not easily available on Ubuntu 14.10. What I have decided to do is to buy the GTX 780 Ti and move the GTX 750 Ti to another system. A second help is that the OpenFoam application has become available for 14.04. Hopefully soon I will have a stable, bug free, system to begin learning the OpenFoam system and accelerated openGL without burning so much time just getting the computer to run.

in case anyone is interested this is the current build for this project, by far the most powerful computer I've ever owned:

i7-4790k cpu not overclocked but using a Corsair 110 watercooling system to prevent thermal throttling.
              32Gb 1600Mhz ram 8, 8, 8, 24.
              GTX 780 Ti gpu
              128GB ssd (will need more space soon)
              660 watt 80+ Platimum psu
              Last edited by artsci2; 01 November 2014, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Go to Nvidia's website, find the right driver, download, install, run. I suggest not messing with one of those beta drivers, cause installing those invites pesky issues.

Comment

Originally posted by A Laggy Grunt View Post
                  Go to Nvidia's website, find the right driver, download, install, run. I suggest not messing with one of those beta drivers, cause installing those invites pesky issues.
                  As mentioned in my original post, that is what I did. It's not as easy as you imply. I have a "catch 22" with Maxwell based cards and OpenFoam. The older versions of linux give a black screen if you install a maxwell card. The newer versions of linux still need to work out bugs on OpenFoam.

Comment

Try Ubuntu MATE 14.04.1

I am going to try Ubuntu MATE 14.04 it looks like it might support my hardware and the OpenFOAM suite.

"The Ubuntu MATE 14.04 final release is now available for download. This release fixes a few issues that were present in the 14.10 release and adds some additional features."

Comment

Working...
                    X