• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(F.U.C.) You Nvidia Corporate!

Comment

@nanonyme Here is the 15 years old link

Richard Stallman -- On "Free Hardware"
      Last edited by dungeon; 28 September 2014, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        @nanonyme Here is the 15 years old link

Richard Stallman -- On "Free Hardware"

Yeah, but Stallman is not a god of logic. First error, he splits a person from a company-organism, i can create a small company and produce a free processor that is an order of magnitude cheaper than ARM (no license fees) and exactly as users want because they would have being involved id development. Second error, the first thing is ownership of knowledge by people and not ownership of a product-material. And a right thing, he did predict that you will be able to print a chip in your home from an X material flakes with good resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
          Everyone who cares about freedom should be using Intel GPUs.
          I'm sorry to take the ambiguity of your post and mention politics on this site but you probably meant software freedom. For instance, Intel used under handed tricks to try to run their only competitor out of the market. Another example, Intel pumps a lot of money into Israel. Plenty of people say Israel turned the Gaza Strip into the current largest concentration camp in the world. So, besides the fact Intel makes relatively weak GPUs to AMD or NVIDIA, there are other reasons to avoid Intel.

Comment

Well, NVIDIA could just sign firmware images developed by Nouveau.

EDIT: On the other hand, it is very kind of NVIDIA that it does allow loading independent firmware images, albeit with slightly reduced capabilities.
            It could just lock the whole platform down.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
              Another example, Intel pumps a lot of money into Israel. Plenty of people say Israel turned the Gaza Strip into the current largest concentration camp in the world. So, besides the fact Intel makes relatively weak GPUs to AMD or NVIDIA, there are other reasons to avoid Intel.
              Many companies have dev centres in Israel.
              It does not mean that Intel supports the war there and conduct of Israel.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat2 View Post
                Well, NVIDIA could just sign firmware images developed by Nouveau.

EDIT: On the other hand, it is very kind of NVIDIA that it does allow loading independent firmware images, albeit with slightly reduced capabilities.
                It could just lock the whole platform down.
                My hunch is they only lock down DRM

Comment

Indeed-software freedom is only one part of the picture

Originally posted by CTown View Post
                  I'm sorry to take the ambiguity of your post and mention politics on this site but you probably meant software freedom. For instance, Intel used under handed tricks to try to run their only competitor out of the market. Another example, Intel pumps a lot of money into Israel. Plenty of people say Israel turned the Gaza Strip into the current largest concentration camp in the world. So, besides the fact Intel makes relatively weak GPUs to AMD or NVIDIA, there are other reasons to avoid Intel.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0HH1F720140922
                  You are NOT kidding! Meatspace freedom and equality are both far more important-and are a major part of what I use free software to do. In fact, as an anticapitalist I use the entire FOSS community as a model of economics applicable to any activity not involving resource scarcity. To put is another way: if someone steals my bike, it's the fact that it is no longer available for me to ride that is problematic, not the fact that they now have a bike. Someone sitting next to my bike furiously building a clone with their own parts I would have no right to complain about-even if I were a first-ranked racer, which I am not,

Intel will give software freedom with one hand and destroy hardware freedom with the other, and for years has been considered among the more severe corporate offenders. Involvement with Israeli occupation is bad enough, I know a LOT of people who prefer AMD even in used hardware for that one reason. The cooperation between a great many major tech companies and the makers of things like facial recognition cameras, speed cameras, and data mining systems is another issue that affects everyone who lives where there is electricity. Also, I'm sure Intel helped George W Bush and his predecessors and sucessors get a lot of war toys.

It's too bad a 3-d printer can't fab a computer chip, that would solve a LOT of problems-given those, making boards would not be soo difficult and it woul be awful hard to hide backdoors on a "dumb board" that came with only the copper traces and sockets, ready to have ALL the chips added to it. Any fab process at the Pentium level (500nm) would be enough to make this useful for a basic websurfing machine in the 10-20W range.

Comment

Originally posted by vivo View Post
                    Just before reading this article, I was thinking about replacing my 770 with a 970.
                    I guess I will have to wait and see. If I don't like what I see, AMD here I come.
                    or buy a pc/laptop with intel iris hd graphics.. unless you demand some extreme FPS in high res of games you play, Intel Iris will play most games.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                      You are NOT kidding! Meatspace freedom and equality are both far more important-and are a major part of what I use free software to do. In fact, as an anticapitalist I use the entire FOSS community as a model of economics applicable to any activity not involving resource scarcity. To put is another way: if someone steals my bike, it's the fact that it is no longer available for me to ride that is problematic, not the fact that they now have a bike. Someone sitting next to my bike furiously building a clone with their own parts I would have no right to complain about-even if I were a first-ranked racer, which I am not,

Intel will give software freedom with one hand and destroy hardware freedom with the other, and for years has been considered among the more severe corporate offenders. Involvement with Israeli occupation is bad enough, I know a LOT of people who prefer AMD even in used hardware for that one reason. The cooperation between a great many major tech companies and the makers of things like facial recognition cameras, speed cameras, and data mining systems is another issue that affects everyone who lives where there is electricity. Also, I'm sure Intel helped George W Bush and his predecessors and sucessors get a lot of war toys.

It's too bad a 3-d printer can't fab a computer chip, that would solve a LOT of problems-given those, making boards would not be soo difficult and it woul be awful hard to hide backdoors on a "dumb board" that came with only the copper traces and sockets, ready to have ALL the chips added to it. Any fab process at the Pentium level (500nm) would be enough to make this useful for a basic websurfing machine in the 10-20W range.
                      Seems like we agree on plenty of things. To bad AMD never got popular in the thin notebook market. I don't even know what AMD-based product is in the same league as the retina Macbook Pro (good battery life, decent performance, hi-res screen, price seems less than identical Windows 8 competitors).

Printing a CPU at home; that sounds AWESOME!

Also, I'm glad NVIDIA gave Nouveau the heads up on this one. Though, it's unfortunate that when one part of hardware opens up (the booting process thanks to Coreboot) another closes.

Comment

Working...
                      X