FSF Issues Statement On Shellshock Bash Vulnerability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
    All I see is a bunch of political spin about how having GPL3 somehow magically fixes Bash. Well, any other even semi-open source license would be just as effective. They also don't mention that this bug *was in Bash for 25 years* and publicly available to organizations like the NSA/Russian mob/Chinese Govt./etc. who could easily exploit it without going out of their way to be nice and tell the rest of us about the issue.
    Seriously I smiled from ear to ear. I thought that was a great way to advertise freedom software... Especially since all the tech outlets are saying the sky is falling and LINUX AND APPLE os suck and using bash == pwned. Fucking pos media outlet Microsoft(Bill's genitals) sucking weasels.

Comment

Couldn't they just writer something like: "A bug was discovered and because we are agile and cool and badass we fixed it already." instead of all these bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by wagaf View Post
        dude, seriously ? ... how was the issue lied about or hidden in any way ?

Bugs which affected older software for a long time are discovered on a regular basis.
        If by older you mean from a week ago before the bug was disclosed, yes.

The argument has been "The bugs will be found because it is open source and peer reviewed". Now you have a critical bug that goes undetected for 25 years. Kinda blows a major hole in the argument, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post

The argument has been "The bugs will be found because it is open source and peer reviewed". Now you have a critical bug that goes undetected for 25 years. Kinda blows a major hole in the argument, doesn't it?
          Code over ten years old is likely poorly reviewed whether opensource or not. Industry requirements are on average fairly high these days

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
            All I see is a bunch of political spin about how having GPL3 somehow magically fixes Bash. Well, any other even semi-open source license would be just as effective. They also don't mention that this bug *was in Bash for 25 years* and publicly available to organizations like the NSA/Russian mob/Chinese Govt./etc. who could easily exploit it without going out of their way to be nice and tell the rest of us about the issue.
            Yeah this is my feeling on this too. To be honest this is another reason I'm seriously evaluating BSD, I want to get away from the GNU userland because it was written by an ideologue (Richard Stallman) who couldn't care less about code quality as opposed to just serving his own personal ideology which means that crap like this is going to happen all the more often vs alternative software, and you get nonsense like his breaking how su is supposed to work because he wants anyone with root password to have full rights.

Comment

Except that the bug was already fixed even before it's disclosure; and it was fixed this way for the very same reason; because it's opensource and reviewed. Kind of different when happens to other companies when the bug could also exist for years; but the patch is only issued when the bug has been already used in malicious ways and the damage is already done.

And yeah, in whatever way you look it; it's a win for FSF. Because their software didn't even have a chance to be affected by the bug; more, they didn't even have to do the work. I can say that now even knowing they are blind in so many ways than I care to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                Yeah this is my feeling on this too. To be honest this is another reason I'm seriously evaluating BSD, I want to get away from the GNU userland because it was written by an ideologue (Richard Stallman) who couldn't care less about code quality as opposed to just serving his own personal ideology which means that crap like this is going to happen all the more often vs alternative software, and you get nonsense like his breaking how su is supposed to work because he wants anyone with root password to have full rights.
                When using a new *BSD system I and lot of people I talked to the first thing we do is install GNU tools and utils on the systems. GNU are of a much higher quality than the non portable and archaic BSD tools and utlis. GNU utils are a better fit cross platforms and operating systems, I love using the same command line tools across kernels and hardware something you cannot do with BSD.

Comment

What's with all the 'bash-ing"

So, here goes a more technical question. Would it have helped in this situation to have BASH written on a higher level language, such as go, rust, or some of the 'better' alternatives to C? I have the feeling that a lot of the exploits we've seen in the past have to do with using C, which I understand for Kernel development, but userland tools could probably afford something slightly slower but safer. Anyways, might not be the case for this particular exploit ...

Comment

The argument has been "The bugs will be found because it is open source and peer reviewed".?
                    Got a quote for that? I have seen lots of people claiming that bugs are less likely, but I have never heard anyone say open source software doesn't have bugs.

Comment

So let me get this straight:

Developers have been feeding bash with external untested unchecked strings, while logged as root, for +20 years.
                      And it's bash's fault.

Yeah, right.

PS: The only vulnerable systems are those running software that directly feeds strings to bash.
                      Last edited by elmerovingio; 26 September 2014, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X