Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MONITORed values : possible to force the time interval between two measurements ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MONITORed values : possible to force the time interval between two measurements ?

Hello Everybody

I saw some options related to the time of tests duration, but nothing around the interval of time between two registered values for the CPU activity for example

To be clear : it could be nice to ask to PTS : "store the values monitored every 10 seconds"

Is there any option or an easy way to do this ?

My question is related to the parallel use of a wattmeter during a PTS test and today, a wattmeter is able to store for example one power value every 5 seconds, i.e. 720 per hour , while PTS stores much less values for the CPU activity
    ==> so it is difficult to analyze the impact of the CPU variation on the power consumed by the machine

Maybe it's a huge modification for PTS, maybe not ...

Is someone could help

Thanks !

Sure, just added it to Git as it's fairly easy to change.. https://github.com/phoronix-test-sui...33ef58c30dfcad

Now if you run PTS Git, you can use MONITOR_INTERVAL= environment variable to set with any numeric integer to represent number of seconds between logging results.

Does this work for you?
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Monitor_interval

Hi Michael

Great !

I'll test it as soon as possible and will let you know the result

Thanks a lot !

Serge

Comment

MONITOR_INTERVAL : store UTC time for each measurement ?

Hello

I use Phoronix Test Suite v5.4.0m3 (Lipki) on a CentOs server

Before launching a PTS benchmark, I declared MONITOR variables through export

it was stored (checked below)
        set |grep MON
        MONITOR=all
        MONITOR_INTERVAL=10

But regarding the results of some registered sensors (like "CPU Usage Monitor") in the result file (composite.xml), I only see the different comma separated values of the sensor itself

it could be nice to store also each related UTC time, up to build a comprehensive drawing , with horizontal labels

==> or at least, storing the first UTC time for the first sensor value
        as we know the MONITOR_INTERVAL, we could just add MONITOR_VALUE for each subsequent values of the first time stored, and create all the labels by ourselves

Not sure I'm clear ... ;o)

what do you think about this ?

And have a nice night for the 31 of december !

Serge

Comment

Monitored values : less values stored than excepted

Hello

I did a long series of tests with PTS 5.4.1 (quite 7 hours) last wednesday, the 14th

I uploaded on Open Benchmark site : http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...LI-20150114181

I used 10 seconds as time interval (MONITOR_INTERVAL=10)

I exported the values in CSV format on another machine - with PTS v5.4.0m3 -

The CSV file shows only 1750 values (from 11:00:00 up to 15:43:40) for sensors like CPU usage, Memory usage,...
          in place of 2467 (from 11:00:00 up to 17:50:20)

In your opinion, is it a buffer overflow when storing the values or a maximum hard-coded - that I can understand - ? I did not verify if the result while exporting to CSV with the same version of PTS as initially registered is better than with 5.4.0 m3 version

PS : I can send you the output log from PTS during the tests

Thank you for the help and have a nice week-end

Serge

Comment

Working...
          X