KDE Applications 14.12 Release Schedule Published

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
    So will these be the version after 4.14? I really don't understand KDE versioning any more.... 5s... 4s... 14s......
    The version is simple: year.month of the release. And this isn't a release for "KDE" as a whole, there is no such thing. It is a release for a group of applications that use the KDE Frameworks, including things like Dolphin, Konsole, Ark, etc.

The old version scheme ended up being more confusing for users, since some applications used the KDE SC version for their version, while others did not. So you ended up with, say, KDE SC being 4.10.2, Gwenview and Kwrite also being 4.10.2, but Kate being 3.10.2, Okular being version 0.16.2, and Ark being 2.19. And then users go to bugs.kde.org and can't figure out why Okular 4.10.2 isn't listed. This way, the version numbers of the release and the version numbers of the applications are cleanly separated.

Comment

Originally posted by adler187 View Post
      Sure, if I built it myself, but the way openSUSE builds it, it is not co-installable. I'm unsure why that is the case.
      The openSUSE KDE group tried it and realized it was going to be far too much trouble. There are third-party packages for openSUSE that do this, but the openSUSE KDE group felt that the amount of work they had to do to keep everything working smoothly was infeasible.

Comment

Originally posted by adler187 View Post
        The transition to KDE SC 4 -> KF5 + Plasma5 + KDE Applications 5 is going to take some time, but is designed to be a smooth transition instead of the marketing disaster that was KDE 4.0. The nice thing is that due to the split, Plasma5 is now on a 3 month release cadence and isn't tied to the old KDE SC 6 months release cadence, so you should see results sooner. (...) based on previous release cadence, would be in August 2015) and I'll probably switch then.
        Ouch... 2015? Anyway, if by "smooth transition" you mean I can install KDE 4 now on my main rig and keep upgrading until the full "v5" is ready (hopefully sooner than August), I'm going to do so (mind you, I'm not a KDE user yet, but I intend to be.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
          So will these be the version after 4.14? I really don't understand KDE versioning any more.... 5s... 4s... 14s......
          Different products, different version schemes.

Like Windows being at 8, .Net is at 4.5, Internet Explorer is 11 and Office is 2014

Cheers,
          _

Comment

Working...
          X