Intel Publishes Open-Source "Skylake" Mesa Graphics Driver Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Publishes Open-Source "Skylake" Mesa Graphics Driver Support

Phoronix: Intel Publishes Open-Source "Skylake" Mesa Graphics Driver Support

Earlier this month Intel published initial Skylake Linux graphics support for their DRM kernel driver. Today they have released the Mesa 3D driver support for Skylake, their next-generation architecture coming out by the end of 2015 to succeed Broadwell...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Intel is really doing some amazing work for Mesa

Comment

Also great for Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by souenzzo View Post
        Also great for Debian.
        Interesting. I wasn't aware they worked on specfic distros. What did they do?

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
          Interesting. I wasn't aware they worked on specfic distros. What did they do?
          I suppose he meant that it's good that Intel pushed support for Skylake now because after 5 November Debian going to be frozen for Jessie release and they will no longer include there any new Mesa code.

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
            I suppose he meant that it's good that Intel pushed support for Skylake now because after 5 November Debian going to be frozen for Jessie release and they will no longer include there any new Mesa code.
            There won't be a new mesa release before the freeze, so it's doubtful SKL enablement in it will get in jessie unless there's some exception granted. Also note that the kernel is already chosen to be 3.16, which doesn't have SKL support..

Comment

Why all you people complaining about what will go in don't switch to rolling distros?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                Why all you people complaining about what will go in don't switch to rolling distros?
                Rolling distros are hard to install and they're hard to maintain. Debian is extensively tested and incredibly stable.

I use Arch, and think that rolling distros are brilliant. But they're definitely not for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                  Rolling distros are hard to install
                  Have you tried Debian Testing? It's an half-rolling distribution, while you will need to perform a (bumpy) version upgrade every 2 years or so, you get new packages. Bugs are rare, as packages are controlled for a few days before inclusion into Testing.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                    Rolling distros are hard to install and they're hard to maintain. Debian is extensively tested and incredibly stable.

I use Arch, and think that rolling distros are brilliant. But they're definitely not for everyone.
                    Hard for regular people perhaps, but not for anyone that's a decent linux user.

Comment

Working...
                    X