Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNF Seems To Be Working Well As Yum's Future Replacement

Phoronix: DNF Seems To Be Working Well As Yum's Future Replacement

Since yesterday I've been testing the Fedora 21 alpha release and it's running quite nicely. I've also been trying out the latest release of DNF on Fedora 21 and it's been working out well as a drop-in replacement to Yum...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

DNF really needs to stand for something... (Do Not Fear)

DNF install
    DNF update
    DNF remove

Comment

Originally posted by mwpow3ll View Post
      DNF really needs to stand for something
      It got balls of steel.

Comment

Packagekit-Libsolv

Michael, you might be able to get Gnome Software to run even faster if you install the "Libsolv" backend of PackageKit, assuming its not installed by default already. I'm not 100% on the package name, might be PackageKit-libsolv or PackageKit-backend-libsolv. Search for "libsolv" and you should find it. Last time I used it it was automatically preferred over the default yum backend so you'd just need to do a reboot to make sure that packagekit was using libsolv. Last time I used it, it was a little buggy but it may have gotten better since its F20 version.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          Michael, you might be able to get Gnome Software to run even faster if you install the "Libsolv" backend of PackageKit, assuming its not installed by default already. I'm not 100% on the package name, might be PackageKit-libsolv or PackageKit-backend-libsolv. Search for "libsolv" and you should find it. Last time I used it it was automatically preferred over the default yum backend so you'd just need to do a reboot to make sure that packagekit was using libsolv. Last time I used it, it was a little buggy but it may have gotten better since its F20 version.
          Its called "-hiv" nowdays and it is the default in F21.

Comment

On Fedora alpha I got DNF 0.6 and it's as stupid as yum.
            I mean, on Ubuntu I do "apt-get show app-name" and it does just that, dnf however (dnf info app-name), just like yum, first downloads crap from the internet which makes it like 10-20 times slower than the Ubuntu alternative. And don't give me the shit that it only updates once in a while - it really downloads stuff at random times and it's a stupid default behavior to begin with.

Comment

Well, the Ubuntu Software Center is made with Python and it has a lot of animations, connection with Ubuntu SSO and the like.

Most utility software from Canonical uses Python because they need to have basic functionality quickly. But of course performance is affected.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                I mean, on Ubuntu I do "apt-get show app-name" and it does just that, dnf however (dnf info app-name), just like yum, first downloads crap from the internet which makes it like 10-20 times slower than the Ubuntu alternative. And don't give me the shit that it only updates once in a while - it really downloads stuff at random times and it's a stupid default behavior to begin with.
                If you just want to have a fast answer (with the possibility of it being outdated) you could just use "dnf -C info app-name", which is not downloading "crap" from the internet.

/edit:
                Which was also possible with yum!

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                  dnf and yum both check the age of the cached data before executing most commands. They want to make sure that whatever they show you is accurate to the best of their knowledge, with some leeway. If you want to tell dnf / yum that they should only work off what they have already you specify "-C" or --cacheonly.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
                    Most utility software from Canonical uses Python because they need to have basic functionality quickly. But of course performance is affected.
                    The use of Python has little to do with the performance issues. I mean, no question that it'd be a poor choice for CPU-intensive tasks, but when an application is doing large amounts of I/O, the speed of the language runtime tends to be drowned out by things like disk access speed and network bandwidth...

Comment

Working...
                    X