Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libinput Is Great & Improves Linux Input Handling

Phoronix: Libinput Is Great & Improves Linux Input Handling

With Weston 1.6 release the libinput library is now used by default for handling input. Linux input expert Peter Hutterer at Red Hat has written a lengthy blog post to explain the need for libinput and how it's improving device input on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been working with libinput since three months ago, and it is quite clean and well-designed. Documentation is ok, but many code examples are using outdated versions of the library (so be careful with that.)

In general I like it. It's much simpler to use than the Mac OS X IOKit, but it's still somewhat more complicated than windows RawInput. Unfortunately, regular users cannot use libinput by default, so it's uses are quite limited in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      I've been working with libinput since three months ago, and it is quite clean and well-designed. Documentation is ok, but many code examples are using outdated versions of the library (so be careful with that.)

In general I like it. It's much simpler to use than the Mac OS X IOKit, but it's still somewhat more complicated than windows RawInput. Unfortunately, regular users cannot use libinput by default, so it's uses are quite limited in practice.
      I see that you are famarilar with the MacOX and Windows input stack, how do they compare to the Android input stack?

(Please no anti-google, anti-canonical rant, I would love a professional opinion, if you have experience with it as well)

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        I see that you are famarilar with the MacOX and Windows input stack, how do they compare to the Android input stack?

(Please no anti-google, anti-canonical rant, I would love a professional opinion, if you have experience with it as well)
        I haven't gone around to Android yet, but I will do so once my Wayland implementation is complete.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          I haven't gone around to Android yet, but I will do so once my Wayland implementation is complete.
          Did anyone whom helped with that lininput project look at the android or ios input stacks? They are "newer" than the MacOSX, Windows, Linux input stacks and may have some insights of more modern and inspired designs ideas.

Comment

Are Linux users finally going to get arbitrary unicode input across all apps?

Comment

Originally posted by myxal View Post
              Are Linux users finally going to get arbitrary unicode input across all apps?
              Wouldn't that more likely be at the compositor level, not the libinput level? Hm...

Comment

Working...
              X