Debian Switches Back To GNOME As Its Default Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If only ...

... I could get a DE with a panel as customizable as XFCE's panel, yet as good-looking as gnome-shell, with GNOME 3's window switcher (I'm talking about the one that tiles the windows when you go into the top left of the screen) and SLIM FSCKING TITLEBARS and menus (seriously GNOME, 36+ pixels of height?) or titlebars that actually disappear when you maximize a window.
    If only.
    This is coming from someone who uses XFCE on Arch at home and GNOME on Ubuntu at work.
    I actually tried GNOME on my home machine, having had a pleasant experience at work, but had to realise that it was due to the fact that Ubuntu's versions of programs such as file-roller are older that their titlebars where slim there.
    Funny how titlebars and menu bars can be a dealbreaker in terms of desktop environment ...

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
      ... I could get a DE with a panel as customizable as XFCE's panel, yet as good-looking as gnome-shell, with GNOME 3's window switcher (I'm talking about the one that tiles the windows when you go into the top left of the screen) and SLIM FSCKING TITLEBARS and menus (seriously GNOME, 36+ pixels of height?) or titlebars that actually disappear when you maximize a window.
      If only.
      This is coming from someone who uses XFCE on Arch at home and GNOME on Ubuntu at work.
      I actually tried GNOME on my home machine, having had a pleasant experience at work, but had to realise that it was due to the fact that Ubuntu's versions of programs such as file-roller are older that their titlebars where slim there.
      Funny how titlebars and menu bars can be a dealbreaker in terms of desktop environment ...
      I recommend you slim up the titlebars manually - the headerbars slim up the program nicely, but the 'legacy' titlebars are indeed way, way too large. It's all a matter of editing some values in xml files and reloading the shell - I've got my top bar down to 8 pixels IIRC - only thing is that some of the CSS elements do go a little over, but I've been too lazy to increase the height a little more. I'm quite comfortable after that editing.

Comment

Working...
      X