Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Rolls Out A New Steam Storefront

Phoronix: Valve Rolls Out A New Steam Storefront

Following the launch of the launch of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive on Linux and approaching the one year anniversary of the Steam Machines announcement (so much happens during Oktoberfest season...) is Valve rolling out a new Steam storefront...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Quite off topic but is there any chance of them making a 64-bit client?

Comment

Purpose

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      Quite off topic but is there any chance of them making a 64-bit client?
      Although I love 64-bit and I do not sit in the same seat as the Mozilla camp (I'm pretty dang sure Firefox can benefit from 64-bit), I'm honestly not sure how the Steam Client would benefit from going 64-bit.

The Steam client doesn't seem to do any heavy computing or have large memory requirements.

Comment

It would save you loading all those pesky 32bit libraries

Comment

I still cant believe we have 32 bit software. Processors have been commonly 64 bit capable since before 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
            I still cant believe we have 32 bit software. Processors have been commonly 64 bit capable since before 2000.
            If you're going to get technical, 64 bit processors were created in the 1970s. But x86-64, the architecture that actually matters to desktop users, hasn't been made since 2003 and didn't really start getting some traction until maybe 2007. Mac and Linux have been pretty x86-64 friendly for a while, but Windows 7 is pretty much the only widely used Windows OS that takes advantage of it. That being said, most commercial software is still 32 bit. Intel creating 32 bit processors well into 2007 also hasn't helped the process of purging 32 bit.

It's a shame, its annoying, and we SHOULD have moved on several years ago. But thanks to MS, Intel, Mozilla, and Adobe, it is taking far too long.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              It's a shame, its annoying, and we SHOULD have moved on several years ago. But thanks to MS, Intel, Mozilla, and Adobe, it is taking far too long.
              Agree that we should have migrated to 64bit years ago, but at least for mozilla, it is not their fault... most plugins were 32bit only, so browsers only released the 32bit version on windows to avoid users complaining that "this #$% browser don't run my site/plugins!!"
              Only now most plugins already have a 64bit version and both chrome and firefox release the 64bit version for windows. Linux users had the 64bit version of those browsers for several years and MacOS dont even have 32bit version for years already.

But the main guilty is the windows XP, with a high market share, companies are afraid or lazy to release 64bit software. With it finally (ans slowly) disappearing more companies start updating their applications.

Finally, steam 64bit will not enable one to uninstall the 32bit libs, as many games are 32bit only, so you still need then.

Comment

Originally posted by higuita View Post
                Finally, steam 64bit will not enable one to uninstall the 32bit libs, as many games are 32bit only, so you still need then.
                Then force the devs to make them 64bit. How hard can this be (making them run in 64bits not forcing them ).

Comment

Fun fact: on Windows, unlike Firefox and Chromium/Chrome, the most recent Internet Explorer versions are available in 64 bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                    Fun fact: on Windows, unlike Firefox and Chromium/Chrome, the most recent Internet Explorer versions are available in 64 bits.
                    Fun fact: Chrome runs in 64bit on windows and soon mac and have ran in 64 in linux for awhile.

I agree 32 bit software needs to die, we should do like macs, remove every 32 bit app and force 64 bit.
                    Even on steam status it shows moust of the people use 64 OS's why in hell are we still using 32bit?
                    Its not fun having to install/load both 32bit and 64bit libs to make stuff work, makes the pc slower and uses more ram.

take skype for example, if you want it to use the icon tray and use the system themes your forced to MANUALY install the 32bit libs (facepalm).

Comment

Working...
                    X