Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Features Coming For Fedora 21

Phoronix: The Features Coming For Fedora 21

Fedora 21 in alpha form is finally expected for release today. With Fedora 20 having been released last December and the Fedora 21 release getting continually dragged on due to delays, here's a recap of some of the major changes being worked on for this next Fedora release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

think i'll wait for the BETA then install it. by then it should be pretty much stable but what i dont get is why they are calling it " workstation" an not just ' Fedora-Gnome' perhaps if they had of called it that, they would of gotten f21 alpha out earlier

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
      think i'll wait for the BETA then install it. by then it should be pretty much stable but what i dont get is why they are calling it " workstation" an not just ' Fedora-Gnome' perhaps if they had of called it that, they would of gotten f21 alpha out earlier
      It's called workstation to indicate the position they wish it to have with regards to the Fedora projects Cloud and Server.
      Right now, it's gnome, but that may not be the case forever. What it is, regardless of the environment, is the best product for the target group that fedora can make.

Comment

So Wayland+XWayland won't be usable yet(minor bugs)?

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
          You will be able to select X or Wayland when logging in. How well it works is something I'm looking forward to seeing.

Comment

hmm I dont know how well copr works at least its a bit of extra work, but I guess they will not update gnome to 3.16 without copr.

They should at least time it a bit better together with gnome releases, its a bit funny having the hypernewest kernel but a gnome desktop from 6-12 months ago.

Comment

Does anyone know what the dedicated docker image means? Will it be tailored for single application containers or full system images? This doesn't tell me anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                they work just you may have a random crash

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                  hmm I dont know how well copr works at least its a bit of extra work, but I guess they will not update gnome to 3.16 without copr.

They should at least time it a bit better together with gnome releases, its a bit funny having the hypernewest kernel but a gnome desktop from 6-12 months ago.
                  Gnome 3.14 has only just been released this month.

Comment

Originally posted by tarceri View Post
                    Gnome 3.14 has only just been released this month.
                    Yes but fedora 21 will get released in 2 months so its 3 months old, when fedora 21 will get stable, so 3 months later u get the problem and if fedora again does not do the 6 month releases but longer releasetimes, u get the same probs again.

BTW are u shure it got released yet? gnome.org tells a different Story. So yes maybe the gap closed a few weaks so its maybe not so bad and if they speed up next release a bit, the problem is maybe less big then it was in fc20.

Comment

Working...
                    X