OpenGL 3.3 / GLSL 3.30 Lands For Intel Sandy Bridge On Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
    IIRC, even on Windows, when I install driver from Intel, it installs OpenCL that runs on the CPU, not GPU. It's possible that SNB Graphics is not OCL capable.

Intel's documentation says Sandy Bridge supports DirectX Compute Shader 4.x, but perhaps even OpenCL 1.0 has higher requirements?

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
    Doesn't this put Linux's OpenGL support on SB ahead of the Windows drivers (which only expose 3.1 IIRC)?
    Is that a first for mainstream consumer hardware?
    Apple's supported OpenGL 3.3 for Sandy Bridge in OS X for a year now. Intel seems to concentrate development of new features in their drivers to their most recent two IGPs, which is transitioning to Haswell and Broadwell now. With Intel IGPs becoming increasingly capable, starting to reach into the mid-range in eDRAM models, third-parties can help in exposing their full potential but Intel should provide longer-term driver support as well.

Comment

this is great, I have to say I didn't see it coming. however, some extensions still seem to be missing...
      Last edited by axfelix; 20 September 2014, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ltcommander.data View Post
        Apple's supported OpenGL 3.3 for Sandy Bridge in OS X for a year now.
        Apple don't handle device driver development. Likely Intel have to provide 3.3 because it's required for some new OS X release.
        Though as far as I know performance of Intel iGPUs on Mac is crap.

Comment

???

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
          Looks like that, but keep in mind their Windows driver does support GL_ARB_compatibility while Mesa isn't.
          its a deprecated extension... apple drivers don t support it, only old drivers

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
            its a deprecated extension... apple drivers don t support it, only old drivers
            It's deprecated because compatibility profile become part of GL standard and Mesa only implement core profiles. And no I'm not saying it's useful thing at all, but this and Apple not support it doesn't change fact that Windows drivers does support compat profiles and Mesa isn't.

Comment

It's deprecated because compatibility profile become part of GL standard and Mesa only implement core profiles. And no I'm not saying it's useful thing at all, but this and Apple not support it doesn't change fact that Windows drivers does support compat profiles and Mesa isn't.
              Yes but that's not out of lack of skill or lack of volunteers, it was a deliberate decision to not support compatibility profiles.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

It's deprecated because compatibility profile become part of GL standard and Mesa only implement core profiles. And no I'm not saying it's useful thing at all,
                It's useful whenever an old codebase gets new OpenGL 3+ features added while e.g. the irrlicht engine does not support the core profile yet: https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-code/issues/1533

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  Yes but that's not out of lack of skill or lack of volunteers, it was a deliberate decision to not support compatibility profiles.
                  I think it was because of a lack of volunteers, actually.

Well, it was because it would complicate everything a lot more than not supporting it, and the decision was that they needed to get the driver up to speed with current standards as soon as possible. If they had unlimited manpower to throw at the problem, I think they would have supported it.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    I think it was because of a lack of volunteers, actually.

Well, it was because it would complicate everything a lot more than not supporting it, and the decision was that they needed to get the driver up to speed with current standards as soon as possible. If they had unlimited manpower to throw at the problem, I think they would have supported it.
                    You mean like Apple?

The reason GL_ARB_compatibility exists is mainly due to Nvidia imho, as they've always been strongly opposed to the whole deprecation idea.

Comment

A powerful example of volunteers able to make a noticeable difference!

Comment

Working...
                      X