No announcement yet.

Wasteland 2 Officially Launched Today, Including For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems that gentoo uses a fully outdated way to provide 32 bit libs. Debian/Ubuntu can usually just install the libname:i386 package. A prebuild lib can sometimes miss some features or just crash, but sdl can be easyly build if needed. Basically for Steam games with Radeon OSS drivers you really have to delete some files like:
    Code:
    find ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32 \( -name libstdc++.so.6 -o -name libgcc_s.so.1 \) -exec rm -vf {} \;
    Btw. Ubuntu uses another path but that should be simple to exchange. This is a generic way to force the use of system-wide installed libs. Be aware that steam client updates add the files again.

Comment

I bought the game, Works perfectly fine using Nvidia proprietary driver.

Also on the weird tangent:

You're not getting scammed. The Witcher 2 is currently in a usable state as well. People do put forth effort into the ports and you should appreciate the extra effort some have for it.
      Trying to find out why X is broken in Y environment while doing Z isn't exactly easy, especially when you don't have the computer right there in front of you. Sadly, it's also off putting that a lot of the time, it's user error rather than developer error, despite the user constantly telling you it's your fault. That said, it sucks that Ryan is probably split between a dozen games and we can't contribute the fixes ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
        I'm not buying Linux games anymore, let me tell you why.

The last game I bought was Limbo from GOG and here's the result:

Yes, it's unplayable, and yes, after I paid for the fucking thing.

Yes, there's that bug report, but the porter (Ryan "icculus" Gordon) has been ignoring all his bugs since he ever started porting games to Linux.

So I'm fucking frustrated of this fucking scammer and I'm not buying any games that he has touched anymore.

I'm fucking sick of it, and I don't get why all of you see this fucking piece of shit scammer as a "God", he's nothing but a fucking scammer, and I'm not throwing my money to these games that don't even fucking work.

Fuck you Icculus and fuck you GOG.
        Remember than GOG supports officially Linux mint and Ubuntu, and you are using Gentoo (how do you expect GOG people to support a distro like Gentoo?). And GOG has the refund policy, but I guess you already know it.
        Related to icculus, thanks to he a lot of games are coming to Linux, thats great and we should (and we are) be thankful to him. But I think too than he should spend some time fixing all the bugs than he has leave behind in his games before starting new ports (for example, goat simulator broke after the last update many weeks ago and no fixed yet)

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
          Remember than GOG supports officially Linux mint and Ubuntu, and you are using Gentoo (how do you expect GOG people to support a distro like Gentoo?). And GOG has the refund policy, but I guess you already know it.
          Related to icculus, thanks to he a lot of games are coming to Linux, thats great and we should (and we are) be thankful to him. But I think too than he should spend some time fixing all the bugs than he has leave behind in his games before starting new ports (for example, goat simulator broke after the last update many weeks ago and no fixed yet)
          The game is also broken on Arch Linux and I bet it doesn't work under Ubuntu as well. I'm happy to test it on both and I'm sure the result will be the same.

Comment

The game is also broken on Arch Linux and I bet it doesn't work under Ubuntu as well. I'm happy to test it on both and I'm sure the result will be the same.
            It's work very well on a amd64 ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by marciocr View Post
              It's work very well on a amd64 ubuntu.
              Installing Limbo on Ubuntu now to see.

Comment

@ihatemichael

I do see your point about Icculus, it feels he is doing to many ports at the same time and not finishing them, however the question is this, what sort of deals does he have with the companies he works for, is it:

1) convert the game, show it to them, they approve and publish it, provice bug support for a fixed price or hourly rate for X time
                2) convert the game, show it to them, they approve and publish it, provide bug support for a fixed price or hourly rate till the end of time

To be honest I think its nr 1, I don't see him keeping all his games up to date, far to much work.
                He should work on his communications skills though, read before how he not even responds to people who hired him and a reason with the WONTFIX note on a bug report would help a lot.

Deathfall Adventure if a good example, the publisher removed the guy who worked on it from the project, he could not help that, not all bug where fixed but at least he communicated it so people knew.

Now back to Wasteland 2, its a Unity game, so there is no Icculus in the picture. If you have no issue with other Unity games I would think this one would work okay for you. On opensuse 13.1 with the Nvidia blob it works as a charm.

Pick your games wisely, in your case skip Icculus games and games in a wrapper like Witcher 2, still leaves plenty of other games that do work

Comment

This seems so awesome I think I buy it anyway despite finding Unity fishy

Comment

I'm not buying Linux games anymore, let me tell you why.

The last game I bought was Limbo from GOG and here's the result:

Yes, it's unplayable, and yes, after I paid for the fucking thing.

Yes, there's that bug report, but the porter (Ryan "icculus" Gordon) has been ignoring all his bugs since he ever started porting games to Linux.

So I'm fucking frustrated of this fucking scammer and I'm not buying any games that he has touched anymore.

I'm fucking sick of it, and I don't get why all of you see this fucking piece of shit scammer as a "God", he's nothing but a fucking scammer, and I'm not throwing my money to these games that don't even fucking work.

Fuck you Icculus and fuck you GOG.
                    My impression on former is it's bug in the OS, not the game. File a bug against the OS. If latter had the language the quote said, I am not at all surprised it was set WONTFIX. Another fine resolution would have been JUMPINAWELL but I doubt the bug tracker supports that

Comment

Installing Limbo on Ubuntu now to see.
                      I just tried it on Ubuntu, crashed before the game even started.

Just like I thought it would, I give up.
                      Last edited by ihatemichael; 20 September 2014, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X