Wasteland 2 Officially Launched Today, Including For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
    I'm not buying Linux games anymore, let me tell you why.

The last game I bought was Limbo from GOG and here's the result:

Yes, it's unplayable, and yes, after I paid for the fucking thing.

Yes, there's that bug report, but the porter (Ryan "icculus" Gordon) has been ignoring all his bugs since he ever started porting games to Linux.

So I'm fucking frustrated of this fucking scammer and I'm not buying any games that he has touched anymore.

I'm fucking sick of it, and I don't get why all of you see this fucking piece of shit scammer as a "God", he's nothing but a fucking scammer, and I'm not throwing my money to these games that don't even fucking work.

Fuck you Icculus and fuck you GOG.
    I have checked the whole thread now and nobody has corrected you so I will. GOG does not sell Limbo. Never has. Many in GOG's community want GOG to sell Limbo, however. Your initial, very angry post was entirely misdirected when it comes to GOG.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
      I have checked the whole thread now and nobody has corrected you so I will. GOG does not sell Limbo. Never has. Many in GOG's community want GOG to sell Limbo, however. Your initial, very angry post was entirely misdirected when it comes to GOG.
      Yeah. You are right. I got the DRM free version from the Humble Store.

Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Usually you get steam as well, why don't you use it?

Comment

Works perfectly on my Asus UX32LN with Nvidia blob!

Comment

I got the free DRM version from the Humble Store. I don't use Steam.
            But Ryan Gordon is the publisher or vendor of these games?

Cheers,
            _

Comment

I just tried it on Ubuntu, crashed before the game even started.

Just like I thought it would, I give up.
              I just installed the humble bundle version on my Funtoo and seems to work fine.
              Because I have an old HD vga, I had to change the default resolution to 576 in the settings.txt file.
              Code:
              3.16.3-gentoo-ap3 #6 SMP Thu Sep 18 21:38:57 EEST 2014 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Comment

I am also dissatisfied with low quality of the ports. Around 50% don't work or have other game breaking problems, like crashing, or the steam features don't work. It's all a matter of insufficient QA on the developers part. The only games that are always 100% awesome from day1 are the Frictional Games' games, those guys really care about their Linux releases.

As for most of the others its just sloppy, make a port, don't even test it (I'm looking at you Witcher2!), and ship it, whatever goes :-P. This is plain unfair, we pay the same money as the windoze people, so we should also get the same amount of quality.

I'm not a developer by trade, just a sysadmin, but hell, even I can prepare a piece of software (even games - I helped a couple of indie devs with porting their games to GNU) that runs OK on all major standards compliant distros. This is not rocket science, it's plain and simple as long as you know what you are doing, have skills&experience, and love the platform. The main problem is that the game companies don't have real Linux people in their teams, only people who write software for windoze all their lives, and thus learning something new is a problem for them. I see it even at work, whenever some client wants something to run on Linux, and the company assembles a dev team for that project - the devs are clueless, even with simple stuff - downloaded an SDK installer from a website and can't run it, cause he didn't know to set executable permissions, another example would be deploying a production webapp to a xampp webserver instead of installing apache, etc from the repos. For people with closed minds and lack of skills/knowledge/training like that, everything that's different will be hard, and they will push for ideas to make software for Linux in the same way as for windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                  I just installed the humble bundle version on my Funtoo and seems to work fine.
                  Because I have an old HD vga, I had to change the default resolution to 576 in the settings.txt file.
                  Code:
                  3.16.3-gentoo-ap3 #6 SMP Thu Sep 18 21:38:57 EEST 2014 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
                  Nice. Can you *please* try to restart the game a few times, like 2-3 times and see if it hangs for you?

The game never hangs for me on the first run, but only after I run the game for the second or third time.
                  Last edited by ihatemichael; 21 September 2014, 06:03 AM.

Comment

@Apopas: The game always hangs for me after the main character opens his eyes (start of the game), but only after I run the game for the second or third time, never after the first install/run.

Please try this.

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                      But Ryan Gordon is the publisher or vendor of these games?

Cheers,
                      _
                      Ryan C. Gordon (aka icculus) is the porter of some games like Limbo, I'm not sure what other titles he ported.

Does anyone knows?

Comment

Working...
                      X