Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Intel Core i7 5960X Continues Running Great On Linux

Phoronix: The Intel Core i7 5960X Continues Running Great On Linux

For those able to spend $1000+ (USD) on a processor, the Intel Core i7 5960X is a fantastic offering that is still leaving me pleased with the performance after extensive Linux testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Component quality and failures

Concerning computer components, are there any resources about recent hardware pieces covering their quality both at a hardware level and under Linux? It is very hard to keep up with open software evolving so fast, but choosing computer components for Linux seems a raffle! It would be nice to know about those things not reported before acquiring a product: full dmesg logs, stability issues, features (not) working,... Tom's Hardware seems to be centered mainly around Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by kalrish View Post
      Concerning computer components, are there any resources about recent hardware pieces covering their quality both at a hardware level and under Linux? It is very hard to keep up with open software evolving so fast, but choosing computer components for Linux seems a raffle! It would be nice to know about those things not reported before acquiring a product: full dmesg logs, stability issues, features (not) working,... Tom's Hardware seems to be centered mainly around Windows.
      Most x86 compatible processors are supported by default I would imagine. Sata and ide based hardware is supported ina generic way. Really, the only thing to watch out for is non-HID compliant input devices like the XBox controllers, and any PCI/e/AGP device. Very rarely have a I found a mobo that has issues but occasionaly happens as well.

Edit, all usb devices that arent hid devices require drivers to be useful is what I meant.
      Last edited by computerquip; 19 September 2014, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
        Most x86 compatible processors are supported by default I would imagine. Sata and ide based hardware is supported ina generic way. Really, the only thing to watch out for is non-HID compliant input devices like the XBox controllers, and any PCI/e/AGP device. Very rarely have a I found a mobo that has issues but occasionaly happens as well.

Edit, all usb devices that arent hid devices require drivers to be useful is what I meant.
        Thank you! To your list, I would add BIOS and UEFI implementations; especially in laptops, they tend to be pretty obscure. I guess it would still be prudent to search in the stored dmesg logs of OpenBenchmarking.org, and to ask (here). I didn't know the PTS saved the system logs, by the way. It's a great feature.

Comment

Working...
        X