No announcement yet.

X.Org Women Outreach Program Only Turns Up Two Applicants So Far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In an age of blogs, tweets, Hacker News, Reddit and Anonymous, an off-the-cuff joke can spin wildly out of control. At least it appears that's what

This is gone way to far, I try to not use that terms on to small things, but this is a fashistic ideology. A few years ago I would have seen no problem to work with woman in IT, now this sexists aehh feminist-sexists made me that way that I would be very causious and would maybe even fight her if I can to stop her, at least if she would say even one word about femism.

Feminists made me what they call a sexist before they interfered I was not. Or at least since they go so agressive and not only a few woman from the 70s.

Another fun fact the german NR.1 Feminist, (Emma producer) is now a known criminal stealing millions from germany. (taxes)

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
      The same two points apply to OPW, do they not?
      nope
      There is no quota to fulfil and it is an internship.
      The point of X.org's OPW is to increase the number of women (+ transgender people, and anyone who isn't a man who thinks they're a man apparently, while still somehow being an outreach program for women) committing to X.org to fill a perceived lack of people from said groups, which is to say... to fill a quota. EVoC on the other hand is just about increasing the participation in X.org's OSS projects without any pretense as to increasing specific groups and thus is non-controversial.

Further no on the internship point, the point was that for better or worse the standard classist perceptions about the roles of internships make it non-controversial for it to exclude non-students. I then expanded on this point saying that it'd probably be better to open up EVoC to everyone because you open up to NEETs and other groups that may have the time or skill but lack the incentive to get involved as opposed to doing other things, which would have long term social benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        The point of X.org's OPW is to increase the number of women (+ transgender people, and anyone who isn't a man who thinks they're a man apparently, while still somehow being an outreach program for women) committing to X.org to fill a perceived lack of people from said groups, which is to say... to fill a quota.
        Ah, didn't know that.
        OPW in general is not about filling a quota, strange that the X.Org foundation would use its participation that way.
        At what which percentage will they stop participating, i.e. what it the targetted quota for them?

Further no on the internship point
        Again I am quite puzzled to read that the X.Org foundation would handle this differently.
        The OPW in general is an internship program, as prominently mentioned several times on related web pages.

I then expanded on this point saying that it'd probably be better to open up EVoC to everyone because you open up to NEETs and other groups that may have the time or skill but lack the incentive to get involved as opposed to doing other things, which would have long term social benefits.
        While I have no idea what a NEET is, why not

I can imagine all kinds of FOSS internship programs that could find sponsors.

Cheers,
        _

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
          It's because feminism is literally not 'yeah everything for women, we hate all men'.
          I'd believe the intent behind this sarcastic line if the white girls that identify as feminists actually gave a shit about other women and didn't obsess over dick and fart jokes as was the case in Donglegate or bully a community of depressive virgin males as they did in Gamergate.

Modern feminism has fuck all to do with equality and everything to do with shutting down any and all criticism and dissent with the word misogyny. While it's a brilliant tactic to halt an honest discussion, it does absolutely nothing to end the sausage fest that is OSS development.

Comment

Ah, didn't know that.
            OPW in general is not about filling a quota, strange that the X.Org foundation would use its participation that way.
            At what which percentage will they stop participating, i.e. what it the targetted quota for them?
            I don't think they know, but they seem to feel that somehow unless there are women on a project, that project is being sexist. Hence there needs to be an (unspecified) number of women on the project for it to be non-sexist in their opinion.

Again I am quite puzzled to read that the X.Org foundation would handle this differently.
            The OPW in general is an internship program, as prominently mentioned several times on related web pages.
            Yes, OPW is an internship, I'm not disputing that, what I'm commenting on is the reason that EVoC isn't controversial, but OPW is.

While I have no idea what a NEET is, why not

I can imagine all kinds of FOSS internship programs that could find sponsors.

Cheers,
            _
            a NEET is someone who is Not in Education, Employment, or Training who is not old enough to be retired. They usually live at home with their parents and are 20-40 years old. Now while there are people who are just plain losers who are NEETs, someone can be a NEET because of a disability, or because they got a degree but then completely failed to break into the job market, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
              http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/21/a-d...ut-of-control/

This is gone way to far, I try to not use that terms on to small things, but this is a fashistic ideology. A few years ago I would have seen no problem to work with woman in IT, now this sexists aehh feminist-sexists made me that way that I would be very causious and would maybe even fight her if I can to stop her, at least if she would say even one word about femism.
              The problem is that you get the impression that you have to walk around on eggshells around women in IT lest they accuse you of something. This creates a rather unpleasant work environment for everyone.

Another fun fact the german NR.1 Feminist, (Emma producer) is now a known criminal stealing millions from germany. (taxes)
              Don't forget her libel campaign against J?rg Kachelmann. Still I think the US has it a lot worse.

Comment

ITT: actual developers who produce actual open source code create an outreach program for their own project, while entitled manchildren who have never written a line of code whine about how things are unfair because of an outreach program exists for a project which they could never be capable enough to contribute to anyway...

Manchildren of Phoronix: The X.Org developers don't owe you anything, as long as you're not paying their salaries, shut the fuck up and go back to reddit where you belong.

Comment

It is a grossly ignorant and offensive program.

Originally posted by johnny View Post
                  These things take time. It's a bit to soon to be passing judgement. This is a multi-year effort, not a multi-month.
                  Proper judgement was passed upon this program when it was first revealed. It demonstrates significant ignorance on the part of the X-Org leadership. Beyond all of that they made this program highly offensive to woman in general.

Think about how most woman would feel after being lumped into the same category as queers and others with birth defects. Maybe X-Org did this intentionally to make sure few woman applied, could be I really don't know. What I do know is that woman in general don't want to be grouped together with people with problems.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                    Theres about ~50% or so people that are women though... Not really what I call a "minority"
                    Exactly! So why are woman being grouped together here with what are most assuredly minority elements of society? Honestly woman should be totally outraged to be grouped with deniers ties like this.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                      They are when you're talking about representation as a group in IT. Same goes with constrution. Men are a minority in child care.
                      Their representation in IT doesn't matter, they are 50% of the population and they have decided not to play ball in the IT WORLD. In some circle that would be pretty smart thinking. It is great that a few take interest in IT and those that actually love the work should be promoted. However it does no one anybody to try to pull developers into a project with financial enticements if they aren't already at least interested in the field.

Comment

Working...
                      X