X.Org Women Outreach Program Only Turns Up Two Applicants So Far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    Yes, trying to be inclusive for a group that is under-represented in a field is pretty much the definition of "diversity and outreach". Trying to exclude anyone not in the main group in a field is the exact opposite of "diversity and outreach". I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept for people.
    Fear of losing one's job can easily cloud one's mind from objective arguments

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
      So apply to the Endless Vacation of Code, which has been running for years now, at the same funding level.

Only students can apply for EVoC, but funnily enough, no-one has complained about that in the few years it's been active, and not in these threads where they're railing for equality.
      That'd be because
      #1. It's not being used for the pretense of filling a quota
      #2. It's effectively analogous to a paid internship, which are usually student or recently-ex-student filled positions so for better or worse it's considered normal, and most don't consider classism a bad thing (people usually don't consider it bad to only give out food stamps to the poor, or to tax the rich more as an example.)

Now that said you have a point, just not the one you were trying to make. Why don't you make EVoC open to anyone? That way you open the door to NEETs and such, which would have a positive long term impact of giving NEETs the experience and skills to actually go get a job, thereby reducing the number of them and decreasing the social burden while simultaneously increasing the output of society.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        That'd be because
        #2. It's effectively analogous to a paid internship, which are usually student or recently-ex-student filled positions so for better or worse it's considered normal, and most don't consider classism a bad thing (people usually don't consider it bad to only give out food stamps to the poor, or to tax the rich more as an example.)

Now that said you have a point, just not the one you were trying to make. Why don't you make EVoC open to anyone? That way you open the door to NEETs and such, which would have a positive long term impact of giving NEETs the experience and skills to actually go get a job, thereby reducing the number of them and decreasing the social burden while simultaneously increasing the output of society.
        Funny how you take three lines to explain how OMG THE WOMENS are much worse, on top of the tens of posts you've already expended outlining how they're threatening our way of life, but only bothered to expend two lines on the students.

If you're going to take the absolutist viewpoint of brutal unerring consistency, at least pretend to be consistently bothered by both.

Comment

It's because feminism is literally not 'yeah everything for women, we hate all men'.

Was going to type something else but have lost the will to live.
          Depends whom you ask. If you ask my local feminists at my university it is ONLY about 'everything for woman' so far that they do not even allow listen to their talks. This goes so far that many of my female colleges do not want to go to their talks either because, and, let me quote one of them: "Every time I go their it is just about how they hate man, how everything is governed by the patriarchy and if I say, I do not see this, they tell me I am just brainwashed by the patriarchy and cannot think for myself."

Also, feminism is not very good defined. The meaning of being "a feminist" depends from person to person. Just look at discussions between a second wave feminist and a third wave feminist.

Comment

Funny how you take three lines to explain how OMG THE WOMENS are much worse, on top of the tens of posts you've already expended outlining how they're threatening our way of life, but only bothered to expend two lines on the students.

If you're going to take the absolutist viewpoint of brutal unerring consistency, at least pretend to be consistently bothered by both.
            Oh so you're just being a reactionary troll who didn't bother to read my post or any of my previous ones? Well played, I thought you were actually being serious with your previous post.

have a slow clap and then actually read my post
            Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 19 September 2014, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Since you had so much trouble reading my post Daniel, I'll help you, everything in bold is about EVoC/your statement about EVoC, everything in underline is a reference to or about your OPW
              That'd be because

Was that really so hard to understand?

Comment

That'd be because
                The same two points apply to OPW, do they not?

There is no quota to fulfil and it is an internship.

Or did you mean that it would be more acceptable if if was about a quota or it wasn't an internship?

Cheers,
                _

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  Fear of losing one's job can easily cloud one's mind from objective arguments
                  That might be true, but how would that apply in this case?

I doubt that any of negatively reacting commenters here are employees of the X.Org foundation nor do regular employees likely feel threatend in their job by a couple of people on a three month internship.

Cheers,
                  _

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                    Women who have tried to tell their stories got flooded with rape and death threats, sometimes even being fired from their jobs.
                    lol I hope u dont refer to the one example where a woman on a conference did totaly overreact when 2 guys made generall jokes about forking and stuff, and did not even target her and then she got fired this 2 guys and lost her job too?

Else it would be a bit silly to call this sexism or "tell their stories".

That was even more like calumny, even making fotos and pushing that to the internet without their permission. that is more like sexism of that person, she seems to think that she can do whatever she wants because she is a woman.
                    Last edited by blackiwid; 19 September 2014, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post
                      There probably are different attitudes towards working in IT in India than in the Western world.
                      This is definitely a contributing factor.
                      Indians have great respect for people who have managed to complete an engineering degree, while in the Western world they are often regarded as black magicians.

Cheers,
                      _

Comment

Working...
                      X