X.Org Women Outreach Program Only Turns Up Two Applicants So Far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
    I don't get it. Most women are clearly not interested in IT, why the big push to get more of them here?
    You must be thinking of a different program. This is not abotut getting women interested in IT, this is about getting women, who are interested in IT, interested in contributing to FOSS.

None of the participating organisations squander the sponsors' money on applicants without the necessary skills for the work they are applying for.
    They will want the money to result in something tangible, no?

I would love to work on FLOSS for 5,5k$, I even got the skills, but I'm a man, and that means I can't.
    Is there some law in your country of residence that prohibits men from getting paid for FOSS work or just prevented from charging such a low sum (not even 2k gross per month)?

Cheers,
    _

Comment

I would love to work on FLOSS for 5,5k$, I even got the skills, but I'm a man, and that means I can't. Duh, sexism.
      So apply to the Endless Vacation of Code, which has been running for years now, at the same funding level.

Only students can apply for EVoC, but funnily enough, no-one has complained about that in the few years it's been active, and not in these threads where they're railing for equality.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        If I call myself DICK-lobyist I am a sexist, but as a feminist I am not a sexists? so whatever have fun...
        It's because feminism is literally not 'yeah everything for women, we hate all men'.

Was going to type something else but have lost the will to live.

Comment

I'm embarrassed they are running such a program. It truly is time for Wayland to take over.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
            Again, qualified women are not even applying for these sorts of positions, and there is a lot of reason to think that a large reason for that is the perception that FOSS is not friendly to women. The goal here isn't to correct the imbalance in hiring, it is to convince qualified women that their participation would be valued.

Unfortunately, the reactions to the program only serve to reinforce this perception.
            I'm actually more convinced that not enough qualified women exist at the moment (which is a pity), that's why they aren't applying. In my college group many years ago there were ~10% women. Now at work there are ~10% women engineers (not counting the HR, accounting, marketing etc). Which relates to the amount that got the education earlier... But on the other hand there are industries where men are a vast minority, so I think it balances out in the overall picture.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
              They are when you're talking about representation as a group in IT. Same goes with constrution. Men are a minority in child care.
              Precisely. Host a Women's conference and you're full of diversity and outreach. Host a Men's conference and you're a misogynist. A pure unfiltered load of crap is what this is.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                In my engineering school where there is a 3 years computer science degree course, we were about 105 guys and 10 girls.
                There are other egree courses, for instance electronics, and there are more girls. IT is every year the least appealing to girls.
                So the problem is clearly sometimes *before* the end of the studies... And certainly even before high school graduation, considering that even 1st year freshman in CS are an overwhelming majority of boys.
                Sure sure, I have studies CS too, I do know there are barely any women there. My claim was that most of those women tend to stay in university researching and teaching instead of becoming software developers

Comment

I'm actually more convinced that not enough qualified women exist at the moment (which is a pity), that's why they aren't applying. In my college group many years ago there were ~10% women. Now at work there are ~10% women engineers (not counting the HR, accounting, marketing etc).
                  So 10% of the potential applicants are women, while 0% of the actual applicants are women. Clearly the lack of qualified women is not the only issue here.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                    These programs are there to create role models, to kick start interest for (future) women before their studies (get them interested by knowing that other members of their group have worked in it). Some countries have very high proportion of women in IT (e.g. India), so interest is not genetic, but it's certainly stable (low interest: fewer participants: lack of example and role models: low interest).
                    There probably are different attitudes towards working in IT in India than in the Western world. From my observations here is that when I tell people about what I actually do for a living they already have the mental image of the nerd they bullied in school in the back of their heads. I even noticed a higher success rate picking up women when I lie about my occupation. So this field of work does have a bit of a bad reputation already.

I suspect it's also not very helpful that wherever men outnumber women significantly (other than hard labor like mining etc.) inherent sexism is just assumed. That hasn't been my experience with IT or FOSS people at all, even when you're in an all male environment. But you repeat that same thing often enough and people will just believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                      Precisely. Host a Women's conference and you're full of diversity and outreach. Host a Men's conference and you're a misogynist. A pure unfiltered load of crap is what this is.
                      Yes, trying to be inclusive for a group that is under-represented in a field is pretty much the definition of "diversity and outreach". Trying to exclude anyone not in the main group in a field is the exact opposite of "diversity and outreach". I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept for people.

Comment

Working...
                      X