Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSAA RadeonSI Gallium3D Performance Preview

Phoronix: MSAA RadeonSI Gallium3D Performance Preview

For those curious about the performance overhead of enabling multi-sample anti-aliasing (MSAA) with the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver, here are a few benchmarks showing the performance overhead at various MSAA levels with the latest open-source AMD Linux driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Humm, I just had Half-Life 2 Episode 2 running with 8x MSAA enabled and it worked flawlessly. That's on a Hawaii Card (R9 290x) with all the latest stuff (llvm git, mesa git, kernel 3.17-rc5). Of course I used the in-game MSAA setting, not the env var.

Comment

Nothing happens if i set msaa var on source games for me, but in game settings MSAA works.

If game has MSAA option, why to bother with env vars Maybe enabling it double time and get MSAA 16x

Comment

How do you know if msaa made any difference (other than fps hit)?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Nothing happens if i set msaa var on source games for me, but in game settings MSAA works.

If game has MSAA option, why to bother with env vars Maybe enabling it double time and get MSAA 16x
          Env var sounds like force off switch to me. Ie there could be games for which you can't even open menu to disable it or menu could belacking means to disable it. Could be all kinds of legacy reasons as well

Comment

why is the performance hit with higher levels of msaa with high quality effects higher than with low level effects?

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
              why is the performance hit with higher levels of msaa with high quality effects higher than with low level effects?
              Not familiar with Xonotic, but often some effects are completely disabled on low settings. For example explosion particles could do that.

Comment

Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
                Humm, I just had Half-Life 2 Episode 2 running with 8x MSAA enabled and it worked flawlessly. That's on a Hawaii Card (R9 290x) with all the latest stuff (llvm git, mesa git, kernel 3.17-rc5). Of course I used the in-game MSAA setting, not the env var.
                RadeonSI works with the AMD Radeon R9 290X now? And with 8x MSAA at that? How the times have changed!

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
                  RadeonSI works with the AMD Radeon R9 290X now? And with 8x MSAA at that? How the times have changed!
                  You need 3.17+ AFAIK.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Not familiar with Xonotic, but often some effects are completely disabled on low settings. For example explosion particles could do that.
                    you mean on low effects the GPU is no longer the bottleneck while for high quality it is?

Comment

Working...
                    X