Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Meizu MX4 Phone With Ubuntu Is Expected To Be Out In December

Phoronix: The Meizu MX4 Phone With Ubuntu Is Expected To Be Out In December

Back in February we wrote about Ubuntu having two phone partners with plans to launch in 2014. Those partners were BQ and Meizu, with the latter Chinese brand at least now expecting to have a working Ubuntu Touch software stack in December to begin shipping their Unicorn-loaded phone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Agh, PowerVR..

Well, at least Ubuntu will work and hopefully Mir and XMir's license might do something about the horrid driver support.. or not. I don't know anything about how licenses interact with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by NothingMuchHereToSay View Post
      Agh, PowerVR..

Well, at least Ubuntu will work and hopefully Mir and XMir's license might do something about the horrid driver support.. or not. I don't know anything about how licenses interact with each other.
      Just a guess but I would think that this device would use the PowerVR Android driver paired with libhybris from Jolla.

Comment

Is Ubuntu Touch 64 bit ARM ready? Anybody know that?

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
          Just a guess but I would think that this device would use the PowerVR Android driver paired with libhybris from Jolla.
          Yes, Canonical uses libhybris and at some time even claimed to have invented it?

Comment

Wow, I'd forgotten about Ubuntu, let alone their phone. Have they been in the news as much lately?
            Besides have you folks seen the new ffos design (2.0)?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              Yes, Canonical uses libhybris and at some time even claimed to have invented it?
              Quote and source please? I haven't found much information about it through Google aside from this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2134727

But again, everything is FOSS under Canonical's belt, what's the big deal?

Comment

Looking forward to the lower specced bq one. That one looked nicer. That is if it wasn't white. Not a fan of white electronics.

Comment

Quote and source please?
                  Blog of one libhybris developer. I've read it a year or two ago. I'm not motivated in digging through the web again to find it.

Comment

Canonical didn't claim credit, just never gave it

Quote and source please? I haven't found much information about it through Google aside from this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2134727

But again, everything is FOSS under Canonical's belt, what's the big deal?
                    Well, I don't think Canonical has ever claimed to have built libhybris; they just never publicly gave Munk his dues. Though, that's still a big deal in the open source world. This is the quote Awesomeness was referring to (so you can ctrl+F to follow the links) from this blog post.

Originally posted by Carsten Munk
                    Earlier this year however, I discovered that a well-known company had taken the code - disappeared underground with it for several months, improved upon it, utilized the capability in their advertisements and demos and in the end posted the code utilizing their own source control system, detached from any state of that of the upstream project's. Even to the extent some posters around the web thought libhybris was done by that company itself.

Comment

Working...
                    X