• Show
Clear All

I'm impressed that Michael has a dedicated beer thermometer
    Test signature

Comment

icewater baths
      in my country its not custom to have much crushed ice ready
      you'll want it cooled to somewhere around 14-16c
      that is highly dependent on beer band. many bands have a recommended drinking temperature which varies widely.

Comment

Take a kitchen towel, wet it thoroughly, wrap it around the bottle (or can) and put it in the freezer.

Comment

After it was decided that they shouldn't be used for beer, I'm expecting tomorrow's article to elaborate on the "sex toy" aspect

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            I'm impressed that Michael has a dedicated beer thermometer
            Unfortunately I don't, this was just my clean meat/cooking thermometer.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

A quick look at the math side of it seems to indicate that it couldn't work.

First, I'm estimating that the mass of that is ~4/5 lb (360 g) (guessing that the diameter is ~2 cm, and length is about 15 cm, the volume should be ~45 cc; 45 cc steel X 8 g steel/cc steel = 360 g steel).
              Per Google, heat capacity of beer is ~4 J/(g*K) and steel is ~0.5 J/(g*K); in other words, it takes 8 times as much energy to raise the temperture of beer one K as it does to raise the temperature of steel one K.

Now, assuming that the temperature of the freezer is -10 C (which is rather cold), and that the beer is at 25 C, and that the mass of the beer after pouring some out to make space is ~3/5 lb...
              the temperature of the beer should be dropping about 1 degree for every 6 degrees that the steel heats up, so its final temperature will be the initial temperature minus one seventh of the differential, or 25 C - 5 C = 20 C.

The ways to really change this are (a) getting a much colder freezer, (b) getting a higher heat capacity cooling stick, or (c) reducing the ratio of beer to cooling stick.

Now, as far as salt in icewater (Bridgman's comment) goes:
              Yes, that's correct if your icewater really is a mix of water and enough ice (some people refer to very cold water without ice as "icewater").
              The reason is that saltwater freezes at a lower temperature, so the ice will melt and absorb heat until the temperature drops t the freezing point of saltwater.

(I'm not a beer drinker; I just find the math and science very interesting.)

Comment

The article's subject matter lost me when it said 'pouring off a bit of beer' =D. Cant afford to waste tastey luxury beverages where I'm from. It's already costing $10 a litre for German imports like Weihan when it should be in mah bellyyyyyy!

Actually, now that I think about it, it's probably cheaper to just have someone mail me a couple cases via express shipping than rely on the local stores.
                Hi

Comment

These sticks look like something else...
                  You've been pranked...

Comment

Tag this article as NSFW

There are kid around, consider the kids!
                    Put away that dildo. Or at least blur the image with a mosaic!

Comment

Been trolled? Trolled! Marital aids in your drinks.

Comment

Working...
                      X