Samsung Reportedly Designing Its Own GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liam View Post
    That link explicitly says that cci400 sports gts. The problem was implementation on Samsung's part. They license the IP and BUILD it.
    This may surprise you, but every IP core from ARM usually has more than one revision (labeled as "rXpY", where X and Y are the major and minor version numbers respectively). Newer revisions have fixes for hardware bugs and sometimes introduce minor improvements/adjustments. You can find errata lists for various ARM IP on the ARM website (accessing some of it requires to have a registered account though). AFAIK, Samsung is only guilty of acting as a guinea pig for ARM by shipping the silicon with buggy CCI-400 to the end users before anyone else. Then everyone got an updated CCI-400 in newer chips, including Samsung.

Comment

Originally posted by ssvb View Post
      This may surprise you, but every IP core from ARM usually has more than one revision (labeled as "rXpY", where X and Y are the major and minor version numbers respectively). Newer revisions have fixes for hardware bugs and sometimes introduce minor improvements/adjustments. You can find errata lists for various ARM IP on the ARM website (accessing some of it requires to have a registered account though). AFAIK, Samsung is only guilty of acting as a guinea pig for ARM by shipping the silicon with buggy CCI-400 to the end users before anyone else. Then everyone got an updated CCI-400 in newer chips, including Samsung.
      I'm aware of revisions (thanks anandtech!) but I haven't been able to verify that the problem was on arm's end (I'd rather not provide arm with my info).
      While not impossible it would surprise me that arm made such a fu as they test their wares via simulations and FPGAs. I suppose this case might be a bit unique as gts didn't even exist until fairly recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        Nvidia just cried a little today over one less company to use Tegra.
        I'm suspecting this is the reason why they are building their own GPU... To use their own 3D library too... Since nvidia just sued Samsung recently...

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        I dont think thats true, I just bought a LG phone for my dad even from the specs the samsung S4 looked better, but amazon and other forums are full of modells that getting damaged by very little pressure. It seems that their case bend the front window so that it gets very unstable and of course they then not give any support if it breaks. for other phones I found in % extremly less similar comments, so I cant belive its just random nonsense.
        LG are no better than Samsung. My LG was weak. I'll probably never buy an LG ever again.

Comment

Working...
        X