Samsung Reportedly Designing Its Own GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
    Samsung is known of making good hardware, but it's also known of poor software (or at least no it par with their hardware quality). If they design their own GPU it would be good if they used different software development policy for drivers
    Let's not forget the fuckups that was their first few big.LITTLE designs (CCI issues made it impossible to use gts).

Comment

Is it me, or did the Mali T-series market suddenly shrink massively? Now all we need is for Imgtec to do an open source driver.

Comment

Nvidia just cried a little today over one less company to use Tegra.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
          Seriously, fuck you Samsung you should have just licensed GCN from AMD.
          Yes they should have. AMD's stuff is all modular and would plug right into whatever they are working with.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
            Let's not forget the fuckups that was their first few big.LITTLE designs (CCI issues made it impossible to use gts).
            Except that this CCI-400 fuckup should be credited to ARM. Samsung still does not design its own CPU and the interconnect.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puma_%...rchitecture%29

3 - 4.5w tablet processors, and that is with 128 compute cores - considering most smartphones are shipping with 16 - 32, you could downsize that even more.
              Good point, though no proof it can go 10-20 times lower as needed for phones (0.3w is around the max affordable there).

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Good point, though no proof it can go 10-20 times lower as needed for phones (0.3w is around the max affordable there).
                Checkout the very recent meizu phone review on anandtech. That has points where it reaches over 11W. Certainly not the norm (I'd say that if you can keep it to between 2-3W when being stressed, and a bit less than 1W for light loads you're doing fine). Consider that 9wh is an average size battery and typical gaming times for a phone lie between 2-4 hours.
                Where arm, and mobile gpus, are tough is that they can power gate oh so very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  You're missing the point that Samsung does not want to rely on 3rd parties.
                  The only reason why *some* samsung devices are even MARGINALLY workable, is ONLY because the majority of the work/code is done by CAF. Its too bad that samsuck has to go take the CAF code and screw it up with their garbage already (you have no idea how many hours I've spent re-doing samsuck crap).

This is just going to be 1000x worse.

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
                    Samsung is known of making good hardware, but it's also known of poor software (or at least no it par with their hardware quality). If they design their own GPU it would be good if they used different software development policy for drivers
                    I dont think thats true, I just bought a LG phone for my dad even from the specs the samsung S4 looked better, but amazon and other forums are full of modells that getting damaged by very little pressure. It seems that their case bend the front window so that it gets very unstable and of course they then not give any support if it breaks. for other phones I found in % extremly less similar comments, so I cant belive its just random nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by ssvb View Post
                      Except that this CCI-400 fuckup should be credited to ARM. Samsung still does not design its own CPU and the interconnect.
                      That link explicitly says that cci400 sports gts. The problem was implementation on Samsung's part. They license the IP and BUILD it.

Comment

Working...
                      X